[SOLVED] CPU constantly fully clocked, even when Idling ?

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018
I have had this problem for a while and noticed that even when idling my CPU clock reaches 100%
View: https://imgur.com/a/BCRYbYh

Even when playing games like Apex Legends I reduce the game quality but it still makes no difference, I even opened up task manager and it shows as 100% under CPU.
I've seen others recommend changing the 'power saver' to balanced although this still doesn't affect it. I am considering updating my BIOS as I'm 5 updates behind but then again I'm not sure if that will make a difference and apparently the process is pretty risky. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Specs:

OS - Windows 10 64 Bit (updated)
CPU - Intel i5 7500, 3.4GHz, 4 cores
MOTHERBOARD - Prime B250M PLUS
GPU - Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
SSD - 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
HDD - 1TB WDC

Solution
Your picture shows 7% load at 3.7ghz which is normal for your CPU...under light loads the CPU is designed to boost to higher frequency within it's thermal envelope so the system is responsive.

Reducing game quality will allow the GPU to run faster, meaning the CPU will have to do more work to keep up with it. If you're trying to reduce the CPU load while gaming you need to actually increase the GPU load by turning up the graphics quality.
Your picture shows 7% load at 3.7ghz which is normal for your CPU...under light loads the CPU is designed to boost to higher frequency within it's thermal envelope so the system is responsive.

Reducing game quality will allow the GPU to run faster, meaning the CPU will have to do more work to keep up with it. If you're trying to reduce the CPU load while gaming you need to actually increase the GPU load by turning up the graphics quality.

Solution

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018

Interesting I wasn't aware of this, thank you

Run cpu-Z.
Look at the core speed.
It should be constantly changing.
A little bit of something is always going on.
A necessary option is to implement speedstep or adaptive voltage in the bios.
That allows windows to reduce the multiplier and consequent voltage when there is little to do.
Start up a second copy of cpu-z and hwmonitor.
Start the cpu-z stress test. If the temperature is well under 100c. you are good.

Reactions: kianbiazar1