Aug 29, 2024
I'm using 2019 hp pavilion 15 gaming with i7 9750H and GTX 1650. The laptop always freeze and buzzing at the same time when heavy gaming and only figure recently that the cpu constantly overheat. Im using throttlestop to monitor the temp and it shows that its thermal throttling even when idle the thermal limit lights up sometimes. Tried undervolt, lower the turbo boost frequency, nothing happen until I disable the turbo boost the laptop now stable without any freeze and buzz. The fan is clean (speed cant be adjusted) , thermal paste already replaced this month. Honestly at this point I think turbo boost is just a gimmick. I still have to manually turn off turbo boost if I want to play games on the laptop.

thermal paste already replaced this month
What thermal paste did you use? Most popular thermal pastes will fail and start to pump out within the first couple of weeks. Order some Honeywell PTM 7950 and do the job properly. PTM 7950 does not have the short life span that many thermal pastes have when used on mobile CPUs.

Post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop FIVR window.

Aug 29, 2024
What thermal paste did you use? Most popular thermal pastes will fail and start to pump out within the first couple of weeks. Order some Honeywell PTM 7950 and do the job properly. PTM 7950 does not have the short life span that many thermal pastes have when used on mobile CPUs.

Post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop FIVR window.
Ive send it to the service shop, knowing them they probably just use an average brand thermal paste.

XW7iOBA.jpg
5LRdA37.jpg
KCCzkqk.jpg

Ive already defaulted the turbo frequency

Last edited:
@dannish
ThrottleStop shows that the maximum temperature of one core is 99°C and the core right beside it is only 76°C. Either the heatsink is not flat and not making equal contact with the CPU cores or the thermal paste is bad. You should not be seeing that big of a difference between individual core temperatures when the CPU cores are equally loaded.

The CPU cache offset voltage request is not being displayed in the FIVR monitoring table. If you run ThrottleStop when Windows VBS is enabled, you need to exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and reboot. Post some updated FIVR screenshots after you do that. Running ThrottleStop with VBS enabled can corrupt the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file.

You can run msinfo to double check that virtualization is disabled. It is probably OK now. It was not OK when you were running ThrottleStop before.

Less voltage will help a little but you still need to replace the thermal paste. For maximum performance, the cooling needs to be perfect. The 9750H can put out a lot of heat. Many manufacturers used barely adequate heatsinks on these CPUs.

Aug 29, 2024
pQiD6YJ.jpg
JUrcYLR.jpg

@uWebb429 done deleted the .INI config file and I've already disable virtualisation through BIOS since I've read your explaination in techpowerup forum before using the throttlestop.

Initially, I really want to use the PTM instead of normal thermal paste but decide to try the paste for last time to see if there is any difference. Ive already planned to replace it possibly in next couple of month, still surveying the PTM online.

Aug 29, 2024
UPDATE: after I delete the .INI config file, the laptop run stable and then I've hits with multiple BSOD with multiple different error code every time I restart and play games.

1. system thread exception not handled (causing by valorant anti cheat and Ive uninstalled it)
2. page fault in nonpaged area
3. Kernel security check failure
nothing wrong after checking the memory and using scannow

Throttlestop also behave weirdly I think, because usually the limit always light the thermal, pl1,pl2 and EDP even when idle but for some reason the limit now rarely lightup even wihout undervolt.

The BSOD seems to settle down (atleast for now) after I deleted entire throttlestop and using a new one with reduced cpu core undervolt from to -180 to -125 (TS automatically set it to -125 after extracted from zip). now Im using the default voltage and it seems the limit doesnt lightup even when playing games just temporary thermal on cpu and edp on ring but only brief as I dont really see it go red light. though the prochot still become red.

here is the new screenshot of the setting.

CQKO1CC.jpg
ZgM5ksn.jpg
7o9qx32.jpg

Here is when i use TS bench with 960m.

11JCFSN.jpg

nevermind the laptop definitely still overheat as I let my game run and it freeze and buzz after that BSOD whea uncorrectable error. after I restart and use the undervolt profile with turbo disable it stop overheat but i still can't figure out why the limit not triggrered any thermal, its works when TS bench running but not on my games like before.

Last edited: