superhighperf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
i am wondering what software is available to manage the use of the cores on a multi-core system.

i have been using cpu-control on my dual core system and like it a lot. i am able to isolate a task on a particular core and use the other for web surfing, burning DVD, converting xvid to dvd...etc. the software is great for a dual core system but now that i have upgraded to a quad core rig i would like even more control. like isolating a task on 2 or 3 cores and not just one. my dual core is 2.9ghz and quad is 2.3ghz ;)

i do have to say that using cpu-control is great. i used to run one machine to convert video and another to surf, burn..... the software allows me to use one pc and get the job done. even better the software is free. here is the link

http://www.koma-code.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=93

superhighperf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
thanks for the help. i thought there was a way to do that but i couldn't figure it out.

in task manager go to processes then right click on the task and set affinity. then choose the cores you want the task to run on. windows remembers the affinity so if you wan ti to run on all of the cores again you have to go back and set it. that is a good solution and does not require another application.

i do wonder if it isolates the cores you choose? cpu-control is able to isolate a task to a core so other things do not interrupt it. does the affinity do the same thing? i guess i could set the affinity for all of the background stuff to one core and then be sure to use the other cores for the stuff i want to isolate. but who knows what is going to pop up that would interfere with creating a dvd or xvid?

i will try this out for a while. thanks for the help.

any one else know of other ways to do this sort of stuff?