Cpu cooler change

o_Smiler_o

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
Hello again ladies and gentlemen. I am currently toying with changing my CPU cooler which is a NZXT Kraken X62. This is due to the noise it makes and the annoyance of the software that comes with it. I am a little unsure of what to now look at as went for this originally for the aesthetics with my gaming rig having all the RGBs on the Ram motherboard and fans ect. How ever after a year of this cooler I'm starting to hate on it and want something quieter and possibly better performance if this is possible? Ideas welcome please.

My build is

Asus ROG IX Code
Intel I7 7700k
GSkill Trident Z RGB 16gb
Asus 1080ti
Corsair RM 650x
Phanteks Entoo evolv case

Thanks for any help :)

Hi o_Smiler_o :)

I doubt your going to get a better cooling solution than the Kraken X62 if your Overclocking.
The noise from your Kraken is ofc the fans as the pump is much less audible.

I found this if it helps: https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/5lagd3/kraken_x62_qfan_settings_in_bios/

I have a H115i which was also intolerable when under load so I installed ML fans which are quieter however still too noisy at full RPM. I ditched the Link software and just use Bios to control my fans. I adjusted the Fan curve only to ramp up if temps exceeded 70C and this reduced Db considerably however there's no getting around noise generated when fans are at MAX.

o_Smiler_o

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
Hi MeanMachine and Superninja. Not overclocked my system. I originally brought the H115i but RMA'ed it as wasnt working properly then went for the Kraken and never been that happy with it if I'm honest. Looks pretty and everything but disliking it. Been tempted to look at aircooling for the noise reduction like a Cryorig R1 or something similar but it will get in the way of the RAM lighting up ect. Maybe have a look at corsairs new H115 pro or something?

Fan noise is a little subjective I suppose and personally, I don't mind the noise my fans make if they ramp up knowing the system is doing its job. My H115i hardly ever ramps up even with intensive stress testing and gaming AAA. If you have no intention of Overclocking then yes a decent quality Air Cooler would be the answer to your noise issue as you would be in the same boat with a H115 pro imo.
You made no mention of changing your fan profiles in Bios or CAM software use. Your dislike of your Kraken seems just the noise as no mention of CPU temperatures under load.

o_Smiler_o

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
Was just the noise in general. Pump more than fans actually. It’s the buzzing from the pump which is annoying and almost sounds like it’s broken.

Temps seem ok, from my understanding the I7 7700 runs hot anyway. Although these last couple of weeks the CAM software claims the CPU has exceeded 81c yet when you check the game you have been playing for temps and FPS ect barely over 71-72c. Temps are around 30 when idle and looking through the AI suite.

Thanks again

o_Smiler_o

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
Erm hand tight. Didn’t want to crazy as didn’t want all the thermal paste forced out. The fans and pump are about the same just notice the pump from the buzzing. Don’t think there’s anything massively wrong or I would be having shut downs and Blue screens if was overheating a lot?