[SOLVED] CPU Cooler clearence height

Sep 23, 2021
Hello! I have an Onyx 260 (CSAZ-260X ) case. In specs it says:

TypeATX Mid Tower
ColorBlack (exterior) / Black (interior), White (exterior) / Black (interior)
Side PanelTempered glass side panel with EVA Anti Vibration PAD
Max CPU Cooler HeightUp to 155mm
Motherboard CompatibilityATX, Full ATX, Micro ATX

and I just bought the Ryzen 5 3600 which isn't coming with it's cooler box, so i had to buy one while waiting the mail. The problem is: i bought the Hyper 212 aRGB Turbo which specs says (L X W X H)120 x 110 x 159 mm / 4.7 x 4.3 x 6.3 inch . So my case max cpu cooler height is 155mm while the cooler i bought has 159mm height. THE DIFFERENCE IS ONLY 4mm :(

Does anyone knows about this case and can inform if this max cpu cooler has a bit of clearence? <- and it will fit
Or is it the literal distance between the motherboard and the glass? <- and i'm screwed

Solution
....uncontrolled airflow?

That would be a likely problem, with hotspots and poor CPU cooling possibly.

If it does fit, make sure it's got some clearance too. I can imagine the tempered glass side panel might shatter if it impacts sharp edges on the Hyper 212 if it's too close and you bump it even moderately.
Sep 23, 2021
155 is 155. if it can take 159mm, it would have said 159mm
I saw some brands puts 5mm or more just to be sure. If that is the case of my case, it would fit. And that's what i'm asking. "Does anyone knows about this case and can inform if this max cpu cooler has a bit of clearence? "

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
I saw some brands puts 5mm or more just to be sure. If that is the case of my case, it would fit. And that's what i'm asking. "Does anyone knows about this case and can inform if this max cpu cooler has a bit of clearence? "
Yes, this is true in some PC cases. The Thermaltake Versa H21 max cooler clearance is 155mm, but you can install the Hyper 212. However, I can't find any build with the Onyx 260 that includes a cooler taller than 155mm.

Is there any way you can return the 212 for a different cooler?

Sep 23, 2021
Yes, this is true in some PC cases. The Thermaltake Versa H21 max cooler clearance is 155mm, but you can install the Hyper 212. However, I can't find any build with the Onyx 260 that includes a cooler taller than 155mm.

Is there any way you can return the 212 for a different cooler?
yea i'm gonna email the webshop to see if it has this possibility. But would it hurt to leave the sidepanel opened? I see a problem about dust, maybe, and uncontrolled airflow?

....uncontrolled airflow?

That would be a likely problem, with hotspots and poor CPU cooling possibly.

If it does fit, make sure it's got some clearance too. I can imagine the tempered glass side panel might shatter if it impacts sharp edges on the Hyper 212 if it's too close and you bump it even moderately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Udyr
Solution