[SOLVED] CPU cooler comes with thermal paste

Krissu3212

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
Solution
The answer is yes you are right about pastes and overclocking, and no you are also wrong.

Almost all stock heatsinks come with pre-applied paste, and it's not half bad. Literally it's in the middle, there's better, and worse.

To overclock, it's highly, strongly, universally, profoundly recommended to upgrade the stock cooler for a far superior, larger, more efficient and effective cpu cooler. Those coolers always include their own paste, but can be in a tube, squeeze wrapper, or pre-applied.

So if you have the stock cooler mounted, you'd need to pull it off, clean the cpu and use the new paste for the new cooler, that you'd need for overclocking.

If you don't have the stock cooler mounted, you clean the cpu, and use the new...
Hi,

So I'm building my first pc and my CPU air cooler comes with it's own thermal paste(in a syringe, not pre-applied).
But I also bought quite expensive, 8 eur Arctic Silver 5 paste. Now which paste should i use? The CPU cooler is here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-D...+rock&qid=1572295905&sprefix=Be+quiet+&sr=8-5

and the paste that i bought is here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Sil...?keywords=Arctic+silver&qid=1572295775&sr=8-3
Use Arctic since you already have it.

Arctic Silver 5 is actually quite old of a TIM. Its not even that great anymore. In fact even 10 years ago it was being beaten by its own Arctic MX-4 and others like IC Diamond 24 (more expensive but very good). Most coolers these days include a decent TIM. For example the preapplied TIM on Corsairs Hydro series is actually a very good TIM.

The Be Quiet included past is just about as good as their DC1:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/guru3d_thermal_paste_roundup_2019,10.html

Which is quite better than AS5 is.

I would personally use the included paste and return the AS5.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The answer is yes you are right about pastes and overclocking, and no you are also wrong.

Almost all stock heatsinks come with pre-applied paste, and it's not half bad. Literally it's in the middle, there's better, and worse.

To overclock, it's highly, strongly, universally, profoundly recommended to upgrade the stock cooler for a far superior, larger, more efficient and effective cpu cooler. Those coolers always include their own paste, but can be in a tube, squeeze wrapper, or pre-applied.

So if you have the stock cooler mounted, you'd need to pull it off, clean the cpu and use the new paste for the new cooler, that you'd need for overclocking.

If you don't have the stock cooler mounted, you clean the cpu, and use the new paste for the new cooler, that you'd need for overclocking.

On top of all that is personal bias. I really don't like Arctic Silver 5. I don't like it's cure time, I don't like that it dries out rather quickly, I don't like it's spread, I find it a pain to clean. It's also not really any better than the amd/Intel stock pastes. My personal go-to pastes are Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NT-H1 and Gelid GC Extreme. Very easy to clean, very good spread, top of the ladder thermal performance, doesn't dry out and has no cure time or heat cycle restrictions.

But that's only on a re-paste, which when using any of those 3 is unnecessary for @ 8 years. With a new cooler, unless I know the paste to be junk, or it looks dried out/discolored, I just use the paste that comes with the cooler.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution