CPU Cooler Compatibility for Cooler Master CM 590 III

sohaib1245

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
Hi All,

I am in the process of choosing parts for a new PC build but am having trouble selecting a CPU cooler. The build will be a Z270 ATX / i5-7600k build, so choosing a CPU cooler is necessary.

After "rigorously" assessing my case requirements, I have decided to get a Cooler Master CM 590 III Black (I need 3x 5.25" bays and would like space for a long GPU and a windowed side-panel). After that it came down to adequate cooling options, case size, cable management and aesthetic preference.

I am now trying to decide which CPU cooling solution to use. I am relatively new to this (this is only my 2nd ever build and will be my first step into the world of overclocking), so I decided it might be better to stick with air cooling instead of liquid cooling (for the moment at least).

Having had a look online, I was considering the frequently recommended CM Hyper 212 evo, but recommendations from other threads suggest the Cryorig H5 Universal is better.

Unfortunately, I don't think the H5 and 590 III are compatible: CM's website says the case can accommodate up to 159mm tall coolers and Cryorig says the H5 is 160mm tall. Also, PCpartpicker does not list the H5 as a compatible cooler for the 590 III.

Can anyone advise as to whether they are indeed incompatible?
If not compatible, I would appreciate any suggestions for which CPU cooler to use. I don't mind spending slightly more for a better cooler if it's more effective or quieter.

Thanks in advance for all the help,
Sohaib

sohaib1245

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply Zerk2012, and thanks for the suggestion. Based on the review it certainly seems like it would be more than enough for the build I'm going for.

At the moment then, let's assume that the H7 is my first choice as suggested. Is it the obvious choice by far or are there other, similar options as well which would provide the same cooling/noise levels (in which case I could choose between them based on aesthetics etc.) If it's the best choice by far then it's obviously a no-brainer.

Other than physically being able to fit into the case, does the size of a cooler have any other effects on the system, such as significantly affecting air flow? (I've read that some wider coolers can potentially obstruct RAM or PCI slots, but you've kindly mentioned that this is not an issue with the H7.) If we imagine that two different sized coolers provide the same cooling ability and noise (and are identical in every other way), would it be preferable to use the smaller one?

Thanks.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The size dont really matter air moves from the front of the case to the back.
Heat wonts to go up.
I have not seen a cooler that actually blocks the first PCI- E slot. But a bunch will limite the memory height in a slot or 2 on the board.