CPU Cooler does not fit mobo

Sep 21, 2018
I am building my first PC and after putting in my CPU and trying to screw on my CPU cooler I can see it won't fit on the motherboard. It seems like part of the fan (the little extra piece of plastic with AMD on it) is either over my RAM slots or gets stuck on a piece of plastic on the other side. I already removed the little bars besides the CPU. The thermal paste is already stuck on my cpu and I have no idea what to do. These are the motherboard/cpu i use:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gBWfrH/msi-b450i-gaming-plus-ac-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-b450i-gaming-plus-ac

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jLF48d/amd-ryzen-5-2600-34ghz-6-core-processor-yd2600bbafbox

Here are some pictures to clarify the problem: https://imgur.com/a/xvY6mQP

I removed the black/red metal part that is blocking the fan, and it obviously fits after removing. But I am not sure if this part should be removed at all. Should I get a different cpu cooler?

Solution

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
I wouldn't recommend removing anything from your motherboard, but I don't think it will do any harm if you only remove the metal part. At least if they're easily removable. Otherwise, yes, you need a new cpu cooler. Since it is a mini atx, I would get a water cooler.

It's not clear from description or pictures but it looks like the metal part you removed is a heatsink for the VRM FET's. That's a very bad idea if it is.

I think that's the Wraith Spire cooler. If I'm not mistaken you can remove the fan and shroud...look for 4 small screws attaching it to the heat sink fins...and rotate it 90 degrees to re-orient the plastic piece with AMD on it.

If re-orienting isn't possible you might be able to trim part of the plastic at that bottom to clear components, but it depends on how bad the interference is. If none of that works you may have to go with a different cooler. An AIO cooler would be nice, since the water block/pump will almost certainly fit, but locating the radiator is highly dependent on what your case choice allows. mITX builds can be very difficult this way and you generally have to be willing to mod some parts to make it fit.

Solution
Sep 21, 2018

I was able to remove the ring, but having some trouble taking out the 4 small screws. Would it be harmful to just leave the ring out or is it important to stay on?

If you mean the outer ring I don't think that would cause harm since the inner shroud that helps direct airflow of the fan should be intact. It will just not look as cool.

Does your Wrath have LED lighting? Mine does, but that can all be removed too since it's just there for esthetics.

Sep 21, 2018

Yeah it's just the outer ring, I'm gonna head out to get a new screwdriver to see if it will be easier with a different one, otherwise ill keep it off. My wrath doesn't seem to have any LED lighting.

Sep 21, 2018

Yeah it's just the outer ring, I'm gonna head out to get a new screwdriver to see if it will be easier with a different one, otherwise ill keep it off. My wrath doesn't seem to have any LED lighting.

Feb 24, 2019
I just had the exact same issue tonight. It is also my first build. It seemed to fit and no visible damage and it booted and no Mobo led lights flashed but tomorrow I boot it up and look in the bios and upload the OS. I had to apply pressure on the screws, more than I would have liked.
Did you end up taking off the outer ring? I didn't even know that was an option.