[SOLVED] CPU cooler faulty screw

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
So ideally, the cooler screws in from all 4 sides, but one of the screws is defective and wont screw to the backplate (tried many times, even forgoing the mobo and cpu to simply try screw the backplate directly to the cooler, but it simply doesnt work, only 3 of the screws go in.

Its just the default wraith stealth (yes ideally should get an after market anyway, but don't have the cash for that atm sadly), so it's a very small cooler as is, but despite this, would it be safe to use with only 3 fully secured screws in the meantime? no wriggle room or anything, it feels pretty solid, or should I just hold off until can afford an aftermarket cooler?

It's a ryzen 3600, I won't overclock it, really wish it came with a better stock cooler, but having 3/4 screws probably also means higher temperatures, so if it is ok to do, what temp should I watch for as the roof temp?

Solution
Absolutely not. Not even the tiniest, most remote, slight little bit of yes. Just, no. Contact AMD about an RMA on the cooler or buy an aftermarket cooler. The cost of a cooler that is better than the wraith stealth, is probably less than you spend on two days worth of lunches if you eat out.

Better than the stock cooler. Better than the 212 EVO. Without doubt, the best cooler you can get for less than 30 bucks.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($20.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $20.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-06 23:55 EDT-0400
Absolutely not. Not even the tiniest, most remote, slight little bit of yes. Just, no. Contact AMD about an RMA on the cooler or buy an aftermarket cooler. The cost of a cooler that is better than the wraith stealth, is probably less than you spend on two days worth of lunches if you eat out.

Better than the stock cooler. Better than the 212 EVO. Without doubt, the best cooler you can get for less than 30 bucks.

PCPartPicker Part List

Solution

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017

That would take super long time to arrive, I do need it rather soon (along side as you said pretty bad cooler as is, no point rma, they would want the cpu back too), I asked my boss for an advance, and he granted it. PC Case Gear would probably deliver the soonest, and they pack products the best in my experience, couldnt find the gammaxx 400 but found Deepcool Gammaxx GTE CPU Cooler which looks similar and seems like a solid performer (on sale for 35aud from 50 (roughly similar price to gammaxx 400).

Any recommendations of thermal paste to get as I would need to remove the stock paste (would some alcohol swabs be enough, or better off to go digging for my 90%+ rubbing alcohol)? May as well use thermal compound from the same place.

All of these locations carry the Gammaxx 400, and the GTE does not perform as well as the Gammaxx 400 based on review testing. If you can't get the Gammaxx 400 it will work, as it's certainly better than the stock cooler, but at that point I might consider the 212 EVO instead. Any of the three coolers are an improvement over the wraith cooler.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400

TRENDING THREADS