[SOLVED] CPU Cooler for a stock FX 6300 CPU?

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi,
I've got the spare parts to build an AMD FX 6300 based PC so I thought why not and am going ahead. My question is what would be an adequate CPU cooler for an FX 6300 CPU running at stock, so not overclocked. The TDP is given as 95W and I have an Akasa 'box' like cooler rated for 95W TDP CPUs lying on a shelf. However I've heard that FX processors run hot so would something else be better or would the Akasa probably be ok at stock?

Regards Steve

Solution
The FX 6300 was not a hot running CPU especially when not Overclocked.
A stock AIR cooler is adequate.
It was the FX9590 with a TDP of 220W that required a Water cooling solution.
I can't comment on the Akasa as a cooler.
If the stock cooler is a wraith like this you shouldn't have any issues cooling it.
2016-04-26-product-3.jpg

However if you are using this all aluminum cooler you might run into some thermal issues from my experience. It might be enough to scrape by but isn't ideal.
0xarlGL_d.webp

Reactions: steveis2

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi
The cooler I have is more like aluminium type rather than the more substantial wraith one. But I'll try it out. As long as it can run the desk desktop without over heating I will get it working. Then I might be able to buy a better one off eBay.

Steve

If the stock cooler is a wraith like this you shouldn't have any issues cooling it.
2016-04-26-product-3.jpg

However if you are using this all aluminum cooler you might run into some thermal issues from my experience. It might be enough to scrape by but isn't ideal.
0xarlGL_d.webp

Since you have the parts, you can answer your own question.
Go ahead and try it.
But, the FX is obsolete and I would not put any money into it for anything that can not be carried forward to a new build.

Lower end FX motherboards were deficient in vrm cooling.
Good airflow over the motherboard will help with that.

If you do buy a new cooler, look for a tower type with a 120mm fan.

Most will come with mounting kits for many motherboard types.
If you buy a good one, it will carry forward to a new build.

Noctua makes top quality coolers.
They maintain a suitability list for many processors.
Here is the list for the FX-6200:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-FX-6200-1500
I note that they seem to be recommending stronger coolers to get the most out of your FX-6200.

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Since you have the parts, you can answer your own question.
Go ahead and try it.
But, the FX is obsolete and I would not put any money into it for anything that can not be carried forward to a new build.

Lower end FX motherboards were deficient in vrm cooling.
Good airflow over the motherboard will help with that.

If you do buy a new cooler, look for a tower type with a 120mm fan.

Most will come with mounting kits for many motherboard types.
If you buy a good one, it will carry forward to a new build.

Noctua makes top quality coolers.
They maintain a suitability list for many processors.
Here is the list for the FX-6200:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-FX-6200-1500
I note that they seem to be recommending stronger coolers to get the most out of your FX-6200.

Hi Thanks for the advice.
I'm hoping to not spend any more money so I'll just give it a go and see what happens.
I haven't spent much but if I do need a better cooler I'll be looking on ebay or a local sales site and see what turns up, hopefully a noctua one.

Steve