CPU Cooler for AM3

kvnto

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Hi, this is my first time I will build my own PC and you could say that I'm a greenhorn in 'computer thing'.

I need an enlightenment about how to choose a CPU Cooler for AM3 processor but beforehand i think its better for you to understand my situation here.

I live in Indonesia and to make it even worse, I live in a small town in Indonesia (now you already know why my grammar are horrible right?) so its kinda hard to get some decent component to build a decent rig and even if it is available I have to spend a lot more money than 'newegg' has to offer, the price difference is .... i don't know how to say it in a polite way (I had to spend about $60 more just for the chassis)

I need a computer for daily activities not for overclocking or gaming (I'm a newlywed and I promised my wife that I stop gaming ... once and for all) and so I buy:

1. Thermaltake Elements S $170
2. Corsair CMPSU-750TX $150
3. Logitech Laser Desktop MK140 $22
4. Patriot PGS34G1333ELKA DDR3 4GB x2 $240
5. WDC 500GB 32MB Caviar Black $60
6. AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition $170
7. ASUS Crosshair III Formula $260

I haven't decided VGA and CPU Cooler because it is so confusing, and yes ... I know I bought that component in a ridiculous price and yes ... I lie to my wife about stop gaming, what I mean is I stop 'console' gaming and start PC gaming.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you're buying it with the intentions of running at stock clocks, you don't need any aftermarket cooling. The stock HSF's that come with your CPU and on your GPU are intended for stock. They will keep everything at acceptable temps, that's what they're designed to do. If you do plan on overclocking, a good AM3 cooler is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2. I have no idea as to availability in your area, but it's an excellent choice for your dollar.

EDIT: Here's a link to a review.

http://www.testseek.com/labs/reviews/review-of-arctic-cooling-freezer-7-pro-rev-2-cpu-cooler/?p=2694