[SOLVED] CPU cooler for AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

donrudi

Prominent
Aug 30, 2021
I am building a new system using an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus AM4 ATX mobo, a Lian Li LANCOOL II Mid-Tower Case, a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 128 Bit PCI-E Graphic Card and a Corsair CX750M PSU. Is it OK to use the stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler that shipped with the CPU or should I look for something more robust like a Noctua NH-U12S tower cooler? Thanks.

Solution
The wraith prism is one of the better ryzen stock coolers but they are by no means exceptional. I ran one on a 3600x and found it really loud when ramping up, in fact I could feel the vibrations through my desk. I swapped it out for a be quiet dark rock slim tower cooler and the difference was huge but any decent tower cooler will be better.
I am building a new system using an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus AM4 ATX mobo, a Lian Li LANCOOL II Mid-Tower Case, a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 128 Bit PCI-E Graphic Card and a Corsair CX750M PSU. Is it OK to use the stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler that shipped with the CPU or should I look for something more robust like a Noctua NH-U12S tower cooler? Thanks.
I would certainly look for and install best cooler possible. Stock cooler is enough for safe use but not for getting best performance out of that CPU.
3700x works best at temps under 70c. If PBO and boost are enabled to get most performance, no way Prism could provide that. Even that Noctua NH-U12S although wast improvement can provide that.
Over 70c, for every degree above, boost clocks are lower by 100MHz so at let's say 75-78c it will not boost over 4 GHZ on any core.