Question CPU Cooler for AMD Threadripper 1950X

Aug 21, 2019
Hi guys.

I am building a system and changed a CPU from Intel i7 9700K to AMD Ryzen Threadripper 16 core 3.4GHz, which I am planning to OC to 4GHz. I have been trying to search for a cooler and it seems a little harder to find anything comparing to i7 9600K.

First of all AMD recommends a number of cooling systems, one of which is Noctua DH14S TR4 SP3. It's quiet but has only one fan and Noctua itself recommends to supply an additional fan NF-15A. I also read mixed opinions. The other option is BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro TR4. I wanted include AMD Wrath Prism but I am not sure if it's mechanically compatible with AMD TR.

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro TR4 looks solid and seems to perform comparably to Noctua. However, it's not on a list of cooler systems recommended by AMD. It has two fans and the cooler's TDP is 250W (as far as I know AMD's 1950X 3.4GHz TDP is 180W). To me BeQuiet should be my choice.

What do you think?
Thanks.

PS. A system I am trying to build.

May 4, 2019
I've run a 2950x with both the U14S and a custom water loop with the full TR4 water block, and there is little difference in performance with the 240 HD radiator from EKWB. The thermal bottleneck appears to be the IHS to dice. The Threadripper is not great for overclocking, in my opinion, barely making 4050 GHz, whereas the 9700K runs up to 5 GHz with no problem. The threadripper is only a performance win where the 16 cores can be fully used. There are other advantages, though. You can get 128G dram, but the chip is picky if you want to run that on an XMP profile, (the fastest I could find was 3000 with all slots populated) and the PCI-ex lanes allow 2x16 GPUs plus some other stuff over PCI-ex. TR seems to benefit more from faster memory than the 9700k.