[SOLVED] CPU Cooler for Fractal Design Core 500 (Noctua NH-U12S vs. Noctua NH-U9S): What would you choose for an ITX build?

Jun 14, 2020
CPU Cooler for Fractal Design Core 500 (Noctua NH-U12S vs. Noctua NH-U9S): What CPU Cooler would you choose for an ITX build?

Applicable to Intel's Core i7-10700 (non-K) and K models.

Thanks

Solution
Neither. You put a 280mm AIO in there.
View: https://imgur.com/YwqWtBb

That's the stock operations of those cpus following Intel's guidelines.
PL 1, or Power Limit 1, is the power limit for the cpu at base frequency.
PL 2 is for the cpu to reach those advertised turbo boost frequencies.
Tau is the time allowed for the cpu to run at PL2 before it's forced back down to PL 1.
Overclocking throws all of that out the window.

The 10700(K) shares many similarities with the 9900(K), albeit slightly more power efficient.
Checking the specs of the NH-12S and NH-U9S against the 9900K, I find this:
NH-U12S 158mm
  • if power limits are disabled in BIOS, CPU might not be able to keep maximum...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Neither. You put a 280mm AIO in there.
View: https://imgur.com/YwqWtBb

That's the stock operations of those cpus following Intel's guidelines.
PL 1, or Power Limit 1, is the power limit for the cpu at base frequency.
PL 2 is for the cpu to reach those advertised turbo boost frequencies.
Tau is the time allowed for the cpu to run at PL2 before it's forced back down to PL 1.
Overclocking throws all of that out the window.

The 10700(K) shares many similarities with the 9900(K), albeit slightly more power efficient.
Checking the specs of the NH-12S and NH-U9S against the 9900K, I find this:
NH-U12S 158mm
  • if power limits are disabled in BIOS, CPU might not be able to keep maximum turbo clock under prolonged AVX loads, suggested maximum power limit: 205W
NH-U9S 125mm
  • if power limits are disabled in BIOS, CPU might not be able to keep maximum turbo clock under prolonged AVX loads, suggested maximum power limit: 195W
Both of those coolers will struggle with some 200w of power output.

Reactions: arjun90
Solution
Jun 14, 2020
Thanks, do you have an alternative Noctua model that may work with the i7-10700K? I currently have Fractal Design's Core 500 case which is strictly for ITX motherboards.

Jun 14, 2020
I looked further on Noctua's website and narrowed down my choices between the Noctua NH-U12A and NH-U14S and ended up buying the U12A. Its pricey but allows for overclocking the K-model (if I ever will overclock). Otherwise, should do well with thermal performance overall especially in a ITX foam factor.

Jun 14, 2020
Super-like, thank you :) Looks like I'm all settled for the U12A then, accompanied by two 140mm top case fans (as intake) and one 140mm rear fan (as the exhaust).

I'm trying get a be quiet! 140mm high speed fan for the rear. Should be here in a couple of weeks (hopefully sooner)

I'm just hoping I can swap out my 10700 (non-K) CPU and get the 10700K or 10900K CPU (whatever first becomes available again)

Sorry about that! I had to split for a bit.
NH-U14S
NH-D15: depends on the ram height
NH-D15S
NH-U12A
All those should fit in that chassis and handle that cpu at stock - with the U12A and D15(S) offering the strongest OC potential.

Jun 14, 2020
I saw plenty in stock just a little over 24 hours ago. Stock is coming in on a rolling basis. There's been a lot of subjective arguments going around that its better to skip the Core i7 and go straight to a Core i9

Also, I still have to return my 65W 10700 CPU. I should have ordered yesterday when I saw most retailers have the 10700K in stock. Maybe the Core 10900K is for me afterall, lol

You could be waiting some time for that. Intel's still hurting from the 14nm supply shortage.
There are still people waiting on their preorders.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see...

There's been a lot of subjective arguments going around that its better to skip the Core i7 and go straight to a Core i9
It's in an odd spot compared to the 10600K and 10900K; it doesn't offer enough to differentiate itself from either.
10600K for a great gaming cpu, and it can be overclocked to 10900K performance without having to go bonkers on cooling.
10900K for the best Intel has to offer - money is no object.
10700K is also a great gaming cpu, and can also be overclocked, but if one is going to spend that much on doing that, they may as well go for a 10900K instead.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDZQCcDMcfw

Reactions: arjun90