Question CPU Cooler for i7-4900MQ on ASRock IMB-180 board ?

Dec 15, 2021
Hello, i got my hands on a little mighty ASRock IMB-180 industrial motherboard with a tiny CPU cooler, which is kinda enough for the i7-4900MQ under it as long as you dont do any overclocking. The problem is that it has really bad cpu fan control that makes the system to be unbearably loud at load with that tiny 60mm fan. I cant seem to find a bigger CPU cooler for this board and making a custom heatsink is not easy since there is not much width around the cpu socket. Maybe someone knows where i could get a decent cpu cooler for this?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You could replace the fan if you have the space. Nothing stopping you from going to 80mm or 120mm fan. Just have to make sure that is enough to keep the heatsink happy.

As for finding G3 / PGA947 coolers, they are often of the rough size you likely already have. That is a laptop socket after all.

I found this one after a bit of searching: https://www.onlogic.com/jacdd01c-1/

Might be best looking around on alibaba/aliexpress/ebay Most retailers are not going to have anything like this.

Dec 15, 2021
The fan is not a problem, i went from 50mm to 70mm and its more than enough now, the problem is the heatsink. Its a tiny aluminium 60x60mm heatsink with a copper slab and its height is no more than 20mm which is tiny. I could not even find it for sale anywhere, it might be custom made as well and a little nicer than the ones Onlogic sells. But still its nowhere near enough for a 70W CPU. I was thinking about making something like a custom bracket or mounting for a 212 EVO or similar CPU cooler with a small contact base and heatpipes that dont stick too much to the sides (since the cooler mounting holes for this motherboard are around 50x50mm, will have to measure exactly). So i want to find out which cooler would be the best for this application and maybe somebody has already done it and have some good ideas to share with me about how to do it (its always a bit scary messing with bare die laptop cpu cooling)

Dec 15, 2021
$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

Oh, and couple of photos of the actual motherboard with the cooler on, just still with the old 50mm fan

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Intel coolers are 75mm, so I don't think any are going to be small enough to work properly without modification.

If you drill new holes in coolers that have an X bracket (like the Hyper 212 or Deepcool Gammaxx 400) you might be able to get it to work. You might also have to trim them so they don't impact components around the socket.

Nothing says you can't modify some other coolers. Old AM2 coolers are around that size but rely on the old spring latch mount. You could make a capital i shaped bracket to clamp one of those down. I would have to have it in hand I think to really come up with options.