CPU cooler for Ryzen 5 1600 overclock

klosth2997

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Hey, everyone

I have decided that I will build a PC using the Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, but I was wondering if the stock Wraith cooler is good enough for maybe 3.8GHz. If not, what cooler should I get? One of the main concerns I have is that where I live, temperature can go +35°C in the summer, and I don't have the coolest room or anything, so if in regular circumstances the stock cooler would be enough, would it be enough in my situation? One last thing, if possible, I would like the cooler to include the AM4 brackets or be AM4 ready or at least have the brackets available for sale in amazon since it would be an issue to have to ask for those to the manufacturer.

Case: Corsair SPEC-ALPHA
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3

Solution
You may need something better during the summer however for now the Wraith cooler is fine, save up for a higher end Noctua or be Quiet which would be much better then the Wraith cooler.
I agree with wildcard999. The wraith cooler, by all accounts, is a solid cooler with good performance when compared to, say, the stock intel heatsink. I don't think you've got anything to lose by trying out the wraith and seeing how far that will take you. In the meantime you can save up a few bucks and get something even better, if you need to, later.

Dec 14, 2017
I never skimp on the cpu cooler/heatsink. I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 1800x and I use a Noctua NH D15-AM4 cooler. This cooler will handle anything you throw at it. The best part is that the fans rarely run above 800 rpm, with the cpu at stock settings, the fans run about 400 rpm, so this thing is virtually silent. Overclocking the 1800X to 4050 the fans run at about 1000 rpm when running Prime95. It's worth the $90.

klosth2997

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017

So you don't think the regular temperature out of the case could affect and would demand an upgrade? I might as well try the stock cooler, but I would like to know what would be the temps on load, overclocked, etc. because I'm still concerned since last summer we had 42°C. But if there should be no concern about the hawt climate I'll just check some benchmarks or something and save some money hopefully.

Might have to just overclock in "winter" lul

klosth2997

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017

Thanks, I'll save for later upgrades then. Will try to keep it cool with the Wraith.

Dec 14, 2017

Dec 14, 2017
If your specific intention is to overclock, then start with a top of the line cooler and be done with it. Experimenting with cpu coolers is a major inconvenience since you'll have to remove the motherboard from the case each time you make a change.