[SOLVED] CPU cooler for Ryzen 5 3600

Apr 19, 2020
Planning on getting a new CPU cooler for my Ryzen 5 3600, as my Deepcool Gammaxx is not performing up to par, (idle around 50C and under load around high 70C).

I was in between the Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB BE or the Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black. I have also been thinking about getting an AIO, because they look so damn good, but I know it's not needed for a 3600. I could use it later on as I plan to upgrade my CPU.

Should I get the 212 RGB BE for $45USD and get an AIO for when/if I upgrade (since the future is always unpredictable) or just get the D15 now and screw the looks and keep it for the long run.

This will be going into a Phanteks P500a with 3 x 140mm intake in the front of the case and 3 x LL120 exhaust (1 rear and 2 top).

Basically should I get a less expensive CPU cooler now and get an expensive and good looking AIO with a better CPU later on OR get an expensive Air Cooler now that has the same performance, but doesn't look as good as an AIO but will last longer OR get an AIO now.

Solution
WHICH Gammaxx cooler do you have? The gammaxx 400? If so, getting a 212 EVO or RGB will do you no good, because that cooler performs WORSE than the Gammaxx 400.

And the 212 series coolers are not ANYWHERE near in the same conversation as the D15 from Noctua. We're talking about having a unicycle and a corvette in the same conversation when you put both of those together.

Cooling is a priority. Looks are a nice to have. All of the best air coolers, lack any kind of RGB, so that should tell you something.

If those are your two choices, then the D15 is easily the best choice, but to be honest, it's quite overkill for that CPU.

You'd be much better off with this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright ARO-M14O...
WHICH Gammaxx cooler do you have? The gammaxx 400? If so, getting a 212 EVO or RGB will do you no good, because that cooler performs WORSE than the Gammaxx 400.

And the 212 series coolers are not ANYWHERE near in the same conversation as the D15 from Noctua. We're talking about having a unicycle and a corvette in the same conversation when you put both of those together.

Cooling is a priority. Looks are a nice to have. All of the best air coolers, lack any kind of RGB, so that should tell you something.

If those are your two choices, then the D15 is easily the best choice, but to be honest, it's quite overkill for that CPU.

You'd be much better off with this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright ARO-M14O 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $49.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-03 04:59 EDT-0400

Or this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C 84.97 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $54.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-03 05:00 EDT-0400

Both of which are superior air coolers and while not AS good as the D15, they are still very good, more than you will ever need for that 3600, and a lot cheaper than the D15.

Solution