CPU Cooler Help

Lil___

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
I have a Dell XPS 8700 and want to overclock the Intel core i7 4790 from the stock 3.1GHz to 3.8GHz. I don't want an exploding PC, so I've decided to get a new cooler, preferably the Cooler Master V8 GTS (If this isn't a good cooler, please give me the link to another compatible cooler). The motherboard is latched on into the case and it is not possible for me to take out the backplate of the stock cooler. With this, will the stock Intel cooler work for the Cooler Master V8 GTS.
-Thanks

Solution

From the beginning, I thought 4790's were 3.6 stock, not 3.1, that's weird, maybe Dell has underclocked it, if it's the regular non-k 4790 it can still be overclocked, but only via FSB, or base clock cause of the multiplier being blocked
About the cooler, I think it won't fit, you know, PSU blocking most of the top, GPU being too close to CPU, and case not being wide enough, I'd suggest an AIO but rear fan seems to be 80 or 92mm and most AIOs are 120mm so that's an extra problem there
Large OEM PC's tend to prevent overclocking plus the i7 4790 isn't the CPU for overclocking. Could you make sure it not an i7 4790k. I suggest you first try the overclock. Don't stress test till you get a cooler but make sure you can overclock.

Elysian890

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

From the beginning, I thought 4790's were 3.6 stock, not 3.1, that's weird, maybe Dell has underclocked it, if it's the regular non-k 4790 it can still be overclocked, but only via FSB, or base clock cause of the multiplier being blocked
About the cooler, I think it won't fit, you know, PSU blocking most of the top, GPU being too close to CPU, and case not being wide enough, I'd suggest an AIO but rear fan seems to be 80 or 92mm and most AIOs are 120mm so that's an extra problem there

Solution