[SOLVED] cpu cooler help

Nov 16, 2019
This is my first build. all i need is cpu cooler, however i know nothing of how to tell what size would fit in my case, let alone which one is good. not planning to overclock main use is gaming at 1080x1920p at high settings with occasional graphics stuff(Blender, unity ect).

below is my specs asside from the cooler and upgrades i don't have yet i'd like a recommendation for the cooler that doesn't involve liquid and got xtm50 thermal paste is it okay or should i go artic silver?
Motherboard:Azrock Z390 taichi ultimate
Processor: 8086k (lga 1151 socket)
Psu: cosair rm750
Case: Focus G
Ram: 2 8gb cosair sticks at 3000 speed
Storage: 860 evo 1tb
optical: Read/writable drive

Upgrades: 2x 860 evos, 2x 8gb sticks, gpu: 2070rtx

Last edited:
Solution
Your psu is a very good one, 750w is more than enough.
I hope you are not planning on sli which might indeed need more power.
SLI is not good for your gaming experience.
It is prone to stuttering, screen tearing, and non support in an increasing number of games.
I doubt we will see a single card in the future that needs more power than a Titan Z.

A couple more points:

If you want 32gb, buy a 2 x 16gb kit.
Intel is dual channel so there is no performance benefit from 4 sticks.
Past that, ram must be matched in a single kit or you will be exposed to incompatibilities.

Raid of any kind in a desktop is not a good idea.
First of all, there is added overhead of mirroring.
The value of raid-1 and it's variants like raid-5 is that you can...
A very nice build.
I like the case also, it has good air intake capability and 165mm room for a air cooler.

How good the cooler needs to be will be determined by how aggressive you plan on overclocking.
A good tower type cooler may well be all you need.
I like the noctua coolers, they are simple to mount, and come with some very good thermal paste.
You could do ok with the noctua NH-U12s with a 120mm fan,
A step up would be the NH-U14s with a 140mm fan, and the very best will be the NH-D15s with twin towers and 140 mm fan.
They are about $60, %70, $80 respectively.
The s suffix variants are improved compatibility versions, designed to clear tall ram and are offset to clear graphics card backplates.

Nov 16, 2019
165mm in a mid tower case? Will that fit? Thought 140mm was max on cpu cooler. And i plan to game on this so heavy load but no overclock as i have no expirence and fear frying my chip/psu. Is overclocking dangerous/chip frying? only fans i have asside the cpu cooler ill have is the 2 that came with the case.

USAFRet

Titan
165mm in a mid tower case? Will that fit? Thought 140mm was max on cpu cooler. And i plan to game on this so heavy load but no overclock as i have no expirence and fear frying my chip/psu. Is overclocking dangerous/chip frying? only fans i have asside the cpu cooler ill have is the 2 that came with the case.
From the Focus G specs:

CPU cooler max height
165 mm

The two 120mm front intakes are a very good start.
If you will not overclock, I think the NH-u12s would be adequate.

But, the K suffix processors are intended to be overclocked.
Overclocking is a bit of a misnomer today, it does not involve voltage settings directly like it used to.
It is merely increasing the stock all core multiplier in the bios from the default 40 to a higher number.
How high will be determined by several things.
  1. First, the quality of your chip. The 8086 chips are well binned for higher clocks.
  2. Your temperatures need to be under control. 85c for a stress test is ok. Do not be overly concerned about temperatures. The processor monitors temperatures and will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature. That is around 100c.f you overclock, I think I would opt for the nh-U14s or NH-d15s.
3. Voltage. For a simple overclock, you can leave all voltages on auto.
Monitor the vcore with cpu-Z.
Something like 1.30 is ok, do not go past 1.4v.

Nov 16, 2019
The processor monitoring the temp helps a bit but is my will my psu be able to handle the oc when i get upgrades? Pc part picker stated about 483-ish watts. Psu calculator said much more. If i oc is it still okay? The link is to my finished build. Also the ssds eill be on the raid where 3rd is a backup.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sWky4n

Your psu is a very good one, 750w is more than enough.
I hope you are not planning on sli which might indeed need more power.
SLI is not good for your gaming experience.
It is prone to stuttering, screen tearing, and non support in an increasing number of games.
I doubt we will see a single card in the future that needs more power than a Titan Z.

A couple more points:

If you want 32gb, buy a 2 x 16gb kit.
Intel is dual channel so there is no performance benefit from 4 sticks.
Past that, ram must be matched in a single kit or you will be exposed to incompatibilities.

Raid of any kind in a desktop is not a good idea.
First of all, there is added overhead of mirroring.
The value of raid-1 and it's variants like raid-5 is that you can recover from a drive failure quickly. It is for servers that can not tolerate any interruption.
Modern hard drives have a advertised mean time to failure on the order of 500,000+ hours. SSD devices are similar, if not better. That is something like 50 years. SSD's are similar.
With raid-1 you are protecting yourself from specifically a hard drive failure. Not from other failures such as viruses, operator error,
malware, raid controller failure fire, theft, etc.
For that, you need external backup. If you have external backup, and can tolerate some recovery time, you do not need raid-1

I would suggest you buy a single 2tb drive and plan on external backup for what you value.

Solution
Nov 16, 2019
The kind of raid i wanted was the double speed (2 working as one) and a 3rd that kicks in if one fails. Forgot what number it is. Does that mean that its not fast as or faster than a single 2tb?

No sli at all. I may not even get a 2080/70 as its too expensive at once if black friday isn't good enough. Single 2060super if bf is bad.

And the ram thing, are you meaning that because i have an intel processorof 4 of the exact same sticks itll only read 2? I don't quite understand.
And I don't quite understand.

Glad to know my psu is good enough.

USAFRet

Titan
The kind of raid i wanted was the double speed (2 working as one) and a 3rd that kicks in if one fails. Forgot what number it is. Does that mean that its not fast as or faster than a single 2tb?
What specific drives are you thinking of with this RAID thing?
If Solid State Drives, don't. You won't see any real performance increase
If spinning HDD's, don't. Get solid state drives.

In the consumer and general use space, RAID of any type is a waste of time and energy.

There is no double speed raid.
You might be thinking about raid-0 but that only applies to specially constructed apps like benchmarks, and only for sequential performance.
On random I/O which is most of what you do, there is actually a negative performance.

For best performance, buy a m.2 pcie device like the 970 evo plus. , not a sata device like the 860.
The sequential performance is some 5x better that the 860 .

With 4 sticks or 2 sticks, you will have access to all of the capacity you installed.
Either way, they will operate in dual channel mode.

You will not get the exact same sticks if you buy two kits.
Even if you buy the exact same part numbers.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
The internal timings need to be matched by the ram vendor for all of the sticks in the kit.

Reactions: FossFox
Nov 16, 2019
Okay, will not go raid than. What do you mean by ram timings? the 3000 speed thing? My current 2 ram sticks came in the same package. So, does that mean i can just get another pack of 8gb ram at 3000 spd?

as for the m2 drive, i just need to keep the os on a small200-gb ish m.2 drive, and games/other on a 2gb 860 evo ssd?

It is not clear to me what you have already purchased.
Your current ram will have some specs like 3000 speed, 1.35v, cas 16 or similar.
If you can't read the specs printed on the ram itself, cpu-Z will spell it out for you.

If you want to add more ram, that is always conditional on finding ram that matches what you have.
The same part number is not such a guarantee. Ram must be matched in the factory for internal timings.
Quirks, if you will.
If you want more than 16gb total, I suggest you buy a 2 x 16gb kit of the same 3000 speed, voltage, and timings.
You will be guaranteed 32gb. Then see if your original 2 x 8gb ram plays nice with the new. I expect 90% success.
Then you will have 48gb.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

It is simpler to manage one large C drive than it is to split things up.
If budget is not an issue, buy a single 2tb ssd. Samsung 970 evo would be my pick. On a budget, the intel 660P is nicely priced but not quite as fast.

Nov 16, 2019
Budget has been an issue hence why i do not know what 20x0 graphics card ill get yet. Depends on black friday. As for what i baught so far Taichi Ultimate mobo, 1tb s860 evo ssd, 8086k chip, Optical drive, 16gb ram kit (2 8gb sticks) and psu.

Been getting things rathet slowly. Thats why it doesn't look like budget has been if you go by the processor.