Question CPU cooler loud (900 rm idle)

SlimE_1

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
I got a new cpu, mainboard, ram and cooler for 1 week now. The fan of the cooler is annoyingly loud for me. I can hear it through my headset on idle. My cpu temp is mostly 35c on idle. It sometimes jumps up to 40-50 and then goes back to mid 30s. The cooler is: alpenföhn ben nevis. Is there not enough thermal paste? Is 900 rpm even normal on idle? What can I do?

Horrgakx

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I have the same issue. I'm on my second fan (CoolerMaster 120 Lite), and it too is really noisy even at slow (minimum "idle") speed. I have cut up some thin rubber sheet and inserted strips between the fan and the radiator, as well as pushing the screws through small pieces, in an effort to isolate it a little from the case.
An air cooler is much quieter. I'm quite disappointed, I thought these things were mean to be silent.

Horrgakx

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Re-visiting this thread after living with it nearly 2 months on. The water cooler is unbearably noisy, especially when the CPU load is going up and down it sounds like I've got a motorbike outside whizzing up and down. I'm fed up. Air cooling wasn't this bad.
Has anyone else found similar??