Question cpu cooler making high pitched whining noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2019
I just built a new pc and i have an r5 1600 with the stock cooler. originally there was no problem but when i adjusted the fan speed it started making a high pitched ringing noise. the noise only stops when im at 100% fan speed or under 20%. i've looked for any loose cables and there dosen't seem to be any. any idea what the cause could be?

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Are you sure that it is your CPU cooler? because i had it once and i though for a week or two i had a faulty CPU cooler, but it ended up that my power supply had coil whine.

Use a paper and make it into a con and try to triangulate the noise.

Reactions: AllanGH
May 2, 2019
Are you sure that it is your CPU cooler? because i had it once and i though for a week or two i had a faulty CPU cooler, but it ended up that my power supply had coil whine.

Use a paper and make it into a con and try to triangulate the noise.
im pretty sure. when i turn the cpu fan to 100% the whine stops and when i open the case the sound is louder around the cpu

May 2, 2019
ok i tried the paper. its defenitly not the power supply but im not sure if its the cpu cooler now. it seems to be coming from somewhere around the cpu. could it possible be the vrms or something else on the motherboard?

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
fans often whine at certain rpms, that's just due to the fact that they have moving parts that create vibrations which under certain circumstances can become a audible whining sound. Create a fan curve to work around that rpm or just get a better cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.