CPU cooler master 212 evo - i7-4790k temperatures

Duckeeh

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
I recently just installed my CPU along with the cooler listed above. Normally, I'll get 70-75 degrees celsius while playing a game. This seems a bit high to me, I know it probably won't throttle my CPU, but is this temperature normal? Just looking for some extra information. Thanks.

Solution
Those temps are fine for the haswell refresh CPU. Haswells tend to be hot under load. Generally it gets to 80C under extreme load. You are fine. The chip is operating under stress in its normal temperature range.

Only AMD systems need to have temps watched. AMD limit for bulldozer is 62C core and 72C socket. Intel is much higher thermal design..

Ryan_78

Honorable
Those temps are fine for the haswell refresh CPU. Haswells tend to be hot under load. Generally it gets to 80C under extreme load. You are fine. The chip is operating under stress in its normal temperature range.

Only AMD systems need to have temps watched. AMD limit for bulldozer is 62C core and 72C socket. Intel is much higher thermal design..

Solution

Duckeeh

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

Thanks for you help. One more thing; what temperature should I be worried about?

Duckeeh

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

Would you suggest that I go with liquid cooling; maybe an H100i? Also, would the H100i fit inside of the Carbide Series® 88R?

jdcranke07

Honorable

Depends on your case, to be honest. If you can go with the 140mm fan equivalent, that would be better. Having the dual fan length versions is a must with this CPU because it does get so hot. The reason I suggest the 110i or 115i (whatever they're up to now), is because 140mm fans will run quieter while pushing the same amount of air through the radiator. If you can only have 120mm fan sizes, then just get that 100i and you'll be good. Keep in mind that there are other AIO coolers than just Corsair, so make sure you get the one you want. They also have small pre-packaged custom water cooling kits from EKWB and a couple other companies if you wanted to get into higher end water cooling and had the space in your case. Be weary though, custom loops do need maintained from time to time and cost a bit more than your AIO coolers will.

Duckeeh

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

I guess I'll go with the 100i, but I'll have to research a bit before hand. Thank you very much for you help.

Ryan_78

Honorable
really, since good air coolers will be as good as rads, try some noctua coolers or dark rock 3. if your case fits 160mm coolers. if you can go taller try some noctua NH D14 or NH D15 coolers. or cryorig R1 or Dark rock 3 pro. so much air coolers out there as good as rads and much quieter. but watch for case height and ram clearance is only drawback.

as of good radiators, the Swiftech H240-X is the quietest AIO cooler out there. it is hard to find on sale though

jdcranke07

Honorable

I will agree; however, with air coolers you do have to worry about the height of them in reference to your capable cooler height the case allows. Also, if you ever move the tower, it has a higher chance of damaging parts. I personally like the capability of air coolers, but for aesthetics and for reduction in possible damage sustained by accidents, I recommend AIO coolers or custom water loops. All are good options though.