Question CPU cooler on 1151

Jan 21, 2024
Hello everyone, I was wondering....on all motherboards that use lga1151 are the ram slots the same distance away from the cpu. Just curious as to how part picker can select a cooler for a build? Surely some coolers will touch the ram. Hence are the ram slots a standard distance

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Generally yes, there is a proscribed area around the socket that is designated for CPU coolers.

What partpicker is generally checking is if the cooler will interfere with tall memory. It doesn't always have the data for memory height and cooler clearance.

There are coolers designed specifically to avoid the memory. Noctua's NH-D14S for example.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Hello everyone, I was wondering....on all motherboards that use lga1151 are the ram slots the same distance away from the cpu. Just curious as to how part picker can select a cooler for a build? Surely some coolers will touch the ram. Hence are the ram slots a standard distance
Check the manufacturer website for specs or illustrations. Most will have easy to find information. Some manufacturers like Noctua and Scythe purposely make units that are offset and do not collide with RAM.

Jan 21, 2024
Generally yes, there is a proscribed area around the socket that is designated for CPU coolers.

What partpicker is generally checking is if the cooler will interfere with tall memory. It doesn't always have the data for memory height and cooler clearance.

There are coolers designed specifically to avoid the memory. Noctua's NH-D14S for example.
Thank you very much. I have always been curious

Jan 21, 2024
Check the manufacturer website for specs or illustrations. Most will have easy to find information. Some manufacturers like Noctua and Scythe purposely make units that are offset and do not collide with RAM.
Cheers mate. Thank you for replying