K9thewolfycat

Prominent
Jul 2, 2022
I have a dell 1660 ti. The heat sink is basically scrap metal with a fan attached to it and it doesn’t even contact or cool the vram or anything else. I am wondering if there is a cpu cooler (or anything else that isn’t water cooling) that could be mounted on it with minor amounts of modding?
I know it’s pretty odd, diminish returns, and what not but, it would be funny and hopefully keep the thing from heating up to 80C all the time.

No CPU cooler will just work on a GPU. Your best bet would be to swap the cooler for one that is better designed from another GTX 1660ti. However, Dell may have made a custom card PCB, which means that nothing else will fit on it directly, not even a cooler from another 1660ti. Most likely there is little/nothing you could do to make a significant difference without more than a significant amount of effort for a card that is not particularly standout.

K9thewolfycat

Prominent
Jul 2, 2022
No CPU cooler will just work on a GPU. Your best bet would be to swap the cooler for one that is better designed from another GTX 1660ti. However, Dell may have made a custom card PCB, which means that nothing else will fit on it directly, not even a cooler from another 1660ti. Most likely there is little/nothing you could do to make a significant difference without more than a significant amount of effort for a card that is not particularly standout.
alright, thanks!

4745454b

Titan
You mean an actual CPU cooler? A couple of issues with that. First, it's long/tall. Depending on what cooler you use and what case you have along with any other cards, it physically won't fit. Second, the mounting holes for the CPU cooler and GPU cooler won't line up. So I'm not sure how you'd attach it. Finally, CPU coolers are heavy. Even if you got it on, it will pull on the card. Bent cards tend to not work very well. The odds are good that the CPU cooler still won't attach to the RAM or VRMs.

You can try using another cooler. That's a good idea. Make sure the one you have is working well. Metal free of dust, fan as well. Use a OCing program and perhaps bump the fan speed up a tad. You also mentioned 80C, which while hot isn't too hot for a GPU.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-turing,6002-5.html

Our 1660TI was just under 70C, while the 1070, a much hotter card, was just under 80C. You can chalk your temp up to the bad cooler, but it won't melt anything.

Reactions: K9thewolfycat