CPU Cooler options

Backtothere

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I am getting a CPU cooler and am only wanting to spend up to £100 on a cooler, I am currently deciding between the NH D14 and the NH D15 which is £20 more expensive, what are the differences between these coolers and are there any other coolers or set-ups I should be thinking of.

Solution
if you are new to overclocking and you are not going to push your cpu too high then the NHD14 will do the job nicely for you , save your money ,
if you are worried about the nhd14 interfering with your ram try the NZXT Havik 140 you have seen how it performs against the NHD14 and will not cover any ram slots , i believe you are on the right track you just have some decisions to make

Stefan Caruana

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Depending whether you would like water or air cooling. If you would like air go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as it is cheap and delivers great performance, but if you want to go with water I suggest the Corsair Hyro H100i with the 240mm radiator

Backtothere

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I have a NZXT full tier case, a Gigabyte G1. Sniper Z87 mobo and a Intel i5 4670k with high profile ram on the side. (the NH D15 fits with high profile ram however some other air coolers do not)
I am new to cooling systems and overclocking, I don't mind liquid cooling however alot of people have advised me towards a NH D15 rather than a water cooling system of which my first idea was to get a H100i.

Backtothere

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I know that the NH D15 fits in my set-up, that is what I plan on getting if I get a air cooling system and that is what people have recommended to me, but i'm not sure why I should choose this over a watercooling system or any newer air cooling system, Basically i'm lost in the world of marketing.

that is fine if you are getting the nhd15 it is one of the best air coolers out there at the present time.
water cooling is also fine , the h100i ,h105 or h110 are also great coolers , it all comes down to your own personal preference
as to which route you want to take , both options will work fine for you , only difference air cooling is the cheaper option

Backtothere

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
Ok so I am on the right track with finding good air coolers then. Last thing:
Are there any problems with Liquid cooling besides price when compared to air cooling and is the £20 difference between the NH D14 and the NH D15 worth it or is the 14 a better option here? (btw. I will check out the NZXT Havik 140 before I make my final decision)

if you are new to overclocking and you are not going to push your cpu too high then the NHD14 will do the job nicely for you , save your money ,
if you are worried about the nhd14 interfering with your ram try the NZXT Havik 140 you have seen how it performs against the NHD14 and will not cover any ram slots , i believe you are on the right track you just have some decisions to make

Solution
no not these days ,AIO ( all in one coolers ) are safe , i have never heard of an aio cooler leaking yet , only downside i see is with air cooling if a fan stops or breaks it can be replaced , if a water pump breaks down you have to replace the whole unit