CPU cooler pressure

Jun 14, 2018
I think I put too much pressure on my CPU cooler onto the CPU its self will it damage my CPU I really need an answer.
Thank you

Solution
You should be fine. It'd take the kind of pressure of you sitting on the cooler to really have any good chance of damage.

If you figure on what it takes to get a stock Intel cooler mounted with all 4 pins snapped in, cpus will take a squashing...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You should be fine. It'd take the kind of pressure of you sitting on the cooler to really have any good chance of damage.

If you figure on what it takes to get a stock Intel cooler mounted with all 4 pins snapped in, cpus will take a squashing...

Solution
Jun 14, 2018

I mean one angle fits, but the other angle doesn't fit. Then I redo it and pressure both sides to go in at the same time. Also will anything happen if I keep removing the CPU cooler from the CPU itself?
Thank you

I'm not sure about the mount...but I would keep the first side as loose as possible until you get the other side started (if that makes sense)....maybe it doesn't even apply.

As far as removing the cooler....you can remove it and reinstall it lots of times and it won't hurt anything as long as you are careful and do it right.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Are we talking Intel or AMD chip here? AMD coolers need a lot of brute force to get into place. (I use a large flat-head screwdriver on the clip).

Removing and reseating the cooler too much wont do the thermal paste any good, it will end up with air pockets that can cause hotspots and raise the temperature for some cores. If you have to reseat it, give it a wiggle in place before clamping it down.

Damage could possibly occur if the pressure is uneven.
If you are talking about the stock pushpin cooler, the trick to getting it on properly is to push down simultaneously on a DIAGONAL pair of pins.
If you do not see all 4 pins through the motherboard and locked, redo the installation.