Question CPU Cooler Replacement

Bradddddddddddd

Honorable
Jun 4, 2014
Hello all.

Having a little trouble and looking for some advice. My cpu cooler is shot and it needs to be replaced. CPU is an Intel i7 7700. I took out the old cooler, and (I’m assuming because it was an off-the-shelf HP Slimline PC) that they have attached MOUNTING POSTS directly to the motherboard, so not even a new STOCK Intel cooler can be installed.

Any ideas? I’m close to frankenparting everything and buying a new case and MOBO and just throwing one back together.

I’ve ordered 3 different “should fit” coolers and fans, none of which have done the job. I just (today) ordered JUST the fan component to see if I can replace it and get rid of my problem, but I’m not feeling too positive in that regard.

Thanks for any feedback.

HP Slimline PC 270-p014
MOBO Model: HP 82F2
Chipset: Intel H270
Intel i7-7700 Kaby Lake-S
Socket LGA1151
Intel HD Graphics 630
8BG DDR4-2400
Windows 10 Home

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
469429_142539_05_front_thumbnail.jpg

is this your system/cooler? the cooler itself is a block of metal and cannot go bad, the fan can be replaced, just the fan.
measure, are the fans on the coolers you ordered the right size, feeling a creative engineering session coming on?

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
As mentioned before just mount a new fan on the cooler might be be 80mm idk. Anyways if you are having temperature problems consider getting new thermal paste the paste used on prebuilts like this is usually not amazing anyways. also make sure you get the correct fan connector(3 pin vs 4 pin)