CPU cooler speed limit

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Hi!

I bought a very cheap cooler for an Duron 1600 Mhz today and although the seller told me that it only works with SPU speed less than 866 Mhz, I still thought that it is OK as it looks just like the cooler in an another Duron 1600 Mhz system that I have ( very small, everything). But now it tuens out that maybe there is something that prevent the system from functioning. In booting, the cooler just run for about half second and there is a Ding sound and it stop. I ahve to switch off the power again to be able to start.

If there is a limit on the CPU speed on cooler, is there anything to disable it as I think the fan size should be enough for the CPU.

Thanks

mpjesse

Splendid
Meh... I think you need to get a new cooler. T-Bird/Duron processors get very hot. Since the die makes direct contact w/ the heatsink it's essential that you have a proper fan and heatsink. Also, Duron's do not have any type of built in overheating protections- they just crash when they get too hot. I think this is probably what your problem is.

Just because a heatsink/fan looks appropriate for a processor doesn't mean that it is. There's a lot of things to consider like... what the heatsink is made out of? Steel? Aluminum? Cheap aluminum? How does it dissapate heat? Is it just a block of aluminum? Does it have fins? How fast does the fan spin? Is the fan big enough? And so on and so forth.

I had a 1.4Ghz T-Bird back in the day and it required some ppppppppppretty hefty cooling. I'm not sure what you're using now, but it sounds like it ain't doing the job if the system won't even post.

-mpjesse

pat

Expert
Maybe you cooler doesnt have the wire that send pulses to the motherboard ..no pulse..fan not working... motherboard stop the system.

So, you need to disable an option in BIOS to prevent th motherboard for shutting down if it don't sense any fan.. If you check in your manual, you may be able to have it start by bypassing that with a key press. sometime, it is the Insert key. But yours should be different.

So, do you have 2 or 3 wire for the CPU fan? 2 wires, won't work and need BIOS tweak. 3 wires, should work.

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
3 wires of course as it is new. But it does not even come to showing the screen so how can I disable the BIOS setting. The question is also how come the seller told me that this is only for CPU with speed less than 866 Mhz.

pat

Expert
As I told you, look at your manual to see if there is an option to disable fan speed check in BIOS. That would let you trouble shoot if it is the fan or the rest of the system. Maybe your fan will be enough.. maybe not. but for that, the system has to start..

Or maybe you just make a mistake when mounting it and you've burnt your CPU already ..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a guess. It's probably based on an observed value of PIII 866 heat output, where anything greater would reach some arbitrarily "too high" temperature in some arbitrary internal system temperature.