CPU Cooler Stops Working At Random Points When Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Hello guys,

So I recently discovered that my CPU temp went to 99 degrees celcius, when playing games. (Mostly CS:GO I think)

It doesn't always happen, just sometimes. I have 2 monitors, and I use my 2nd monitor to monitor the temps, with Speccy.
As soon as I notice the temps are high, too high, I tab out, to my desktop, or another program and then I hear my CPU fan "turning on", or alteast it's going to full speed, and after that, the cpu temp starts dropping.

I recently changed 2 settings in the bios, not exactly sure what they're called but it had to do with the fan performance preset, it was always set to standard mode, but I changed it to performance mode. (This was before I started having problems, well, before I was aware of the problem atleast.)

So I changed it back to the default, (and reset the bios settings) hoping it would fix it. No luck.

Here are my specs/temps:
103eb40e2158b0e54cf10d3952bdd222.png

That CPU usually runs quite cool and is not known for causeing temperature issues. The most likely cause is improperly seated cooler, dust accumulated on the cooler or inefficient thermal paste. Case airflow could also be the factor.

Clean the cooler, reseat it, reapply thermal paste. Test again.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016

I cleaned the fan and heatsink already, apllied new thermal paste twice now. Airflow in the case should be ok since the cables are pretty neatly hidden and not disturbing the airflow.

So pretty sure dust, nor the heatsink is the problem. they work, but just stop when playing csgo.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016

I will go and try that out now and post the results.

you have a real problem, your CPU is obviously overheating and you should not continue to game as it's telling you when it slows that it's not working properly. You need to look at your cooler and fans to see if they're working properly. check install of CPU heatsink and if you are in there change thermal paste.

Agreed^

You have tried reseating. You have used multiple pc health monitors. The heatsink is clean.

Which cooler are you using? I would purchase the Cryorig H7 or the 212 Evo. I am using a 212 with my 4690K and it's perfectly suited for a gamer. The H7 is a little better, a little shorter(fits in more PC cases) and allows for easier RAM clearance

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
I think it might have had something to do with the game actually. On steam there's a thing called '' launch options". I used onces for ''better performance".
I took out all of them that affected the cpu directly, such as setting it to high priority etc etc.
I played a game, and I didnt have spikes to high temps, stayed under 55 im pretty sure, didnt HwMonitor it. I will continue to test and post an update.

Besides that, i have been thinking about getting a diffrent cooler since the stock intel one that I have right now, is also quite noisy.

:/ That might have been some information you could have offered in the original post. I will bookmark this page because this isn't a "normal" issue I've seen around here.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
@aquielisunari Sorry, I didn't mention it because I never had problems in the past, nor have others I'm pretty sure.
After some more testing it turns out that this wasn't the problem sadly.

Let me be clear about this: the CPU cooler will just completely stop or go on a really low speed, which is causing the high temp. It literally randomly shuts off, and turns back on after 5 sec when I tab out of the game. So far I also only noticed that it happens only in CSGO, like mentioned before.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
If you want a dirty solution, I recommend you buy a decent CPU cooler and connect the fan directly to PSU so it won't stop no matter what the system wants. A converter looks like this if you're interested:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31biBb1izUL._SX425_.jpg

Otherwise, reset BIOS and find out what's messing your fan speed.

I don't know your budget but I found this to be quite cheap. More than enough for your needs
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LPVBD3/cryorig-cpu-cooler-m9i

Also, don't bump, It's against the rules.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Whats the name of that connector called?

About the cooler, I wanted to upgrade anyway, but thats a little over budget. I was thinking 40 euros max. I dont OC, aside from doing 3.3 instead 3.1 ghz. Temps are pretty OK already.
Also I've noticed that my PSU is the noisemaker and not the gpu/cpu fans :p.( Lepa N500w PSU ) Cleaned it out but its just loud from itself lol.

Sorry for the bump.

But could it be a faulty cooler? I've reset the BIOS already and nothing in there could indicate why it would suddenly stop anyway. I think CSGO really is the problem because I've not seen it happen playing any other game.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Whats the name of that connector called?
fan to molex adapter.
About the cooler, I wanted to upgrade anyway, but thats a little over budget. I was thinking 40 euros max. I dont OC, aside from doing 3.3 instead 3.1 ghz. Temps are pretty OK already.
It was 20$. Might be more expensive over there. I recommend tower cooler with 3 or more pairs (6+) of heat pipe.
But could it be a faulty cooler? I've reset the BIOS already and nothing in there could indicate why it would suddenly stop anyway. I think CSGO really is the problem because I've not seen it happen playing any other game.
Could be anything. If only CS:GO causes it, could be something related to it.

If you use molex, keep something connected to the cpu_header or disable the warning from BIOS.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
7980fb0d0543c94dc830bff10e94b0f9.png

Results from Realtemp. Can someone tell me if these are normal?

So far still encountered problems with cs:go. Im clueless.

[/quote]Could be anything. If only CS:GO causes it, could be something related to it.

If you use molex, keep something connected to the cpu_header or disable the warning from BIOS.[/quotemsg]

Its plugged in directly to the motherboard as of now. Could you explain everything you said here a little bit clearer for a noob like me?

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Results from Realtemp. Can someone tell me if these are normal?
You're temps are okay. 73C max is a little high but perfectly fine.
Could be anything. If only CS:GO causes it, could be something related to it.
I meant if it happens only with CS:GO and no other game/app, your cooler fan is healthy.
If you use molex, keep something connected to the cpu_header or disable the warning from BIOS.
The CPU fan can only be controlled if it's connected to the motherboard. If you connect it directly to PSU with molex, it will run at 100% regardless of what the pc wants. Since there is no fan connected to motherboard now, it will warn that there is no fan and prevent you from booting (safety measure). Two ways to fix it: 1. disable it from BIOS
2. keep something connected to fool it.

Cooler fan stopping in the middle of gaming is very dangerous especially during summer. It could overheat the CPU if it ran fanless for a while. That's why I recommended a bigger cooler so that it could keep cool even if the fans shut down. It's like a glass of water (small cooler) vs a pot of water (bigger cooler). The second one will take much longer to heat up.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
So, here I am once more.

Im still facing the same problem.

I actually tried a new cooler but I couldnt use this one because it consumed too much power and my PSU can't handle this.

I need to upgrade my PSU for starters.

But it still doesn't explain why at random moments the CPU fan would just die right?

Scenario: Playing CS:GO, CPU Temp 45-55 avg. Random moments where the fan just stops spinning, and cpu temp climbs up obviously.
Then when tabbing out of the game to the desktop, the fan will restart and go full speed for a second or 2 and then decreases it's speed to what it was before it shut off.

Does anyone know what is going on?

EDIT: What PSU and cooler would be good? I don't overclock.

Please use bol.com as your website, Im pretty sure it's the cheapest site for components.

I would highly prefer a modulair PSU with black cables. Im currently rocking a Lepa N500, ketchup and mustard cables...

Budget:

- CPU Cooler 40 euros or below
- PSU Whatever watt is needed, and a bit above so I'm not running in to any trouble.
I would highly prefer a modulair PSU with black cables.

SPECS: https://gyazo.com/768ca164a1eb67906ad09f0e14fc60a6

Status
Not open for further replies.