CPU Cooler. Will it fit?

airwick97

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I'm looking to add a Hyper 212 EVO to a Ryzen 5 1600 running on a MSI B350M Gaming Pro mATX mobo. I am not using low profile RAM, so I have concerns on whether it will fit or not. Would it be possible to have the fan pointing towards the I/O shield instead of the RAM? If anything, I guess I'll use the stock cooler :(

Solution

Correction...you don't have the fan 'pointing at' the IO ports...but rather mounting the fan on that side of the cooler fin array.
Yes, that will work.
You have to take the fan off the mount bracket and flip it over so that the fan is pulling the air through the fins, rather than push as would be the normal config.
I've read of people mounting the fan that way, though you'd need to make sure to re-mount the fan on the clip in the opposite orientation (so that it's matching the airflow of the back or top case fan instead of fighting it). Also, what case do you have? Some cases don't have enough clearance for the Hyper 212 EVO, which would make the ram clearance a moot point.

airwick97

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

I have the Deepcool Tesseract SW, it's a standard ATX

USAFRet

Titan

Correction...you don't have the fan 'pointing at' the IO ports...but rather mounting the fan on that side of the cooler fin array.
Yes, that will work.
You have to take the fan off the mount bracket and flip it over so that the fan is pulling the air through the fins, rather than push as would be the normal config.

Solution
I found specs for that case, which say it allows 168mm coolers, which is more generous than many ATX cases. The Hyper 212 EVO is only 159mm tall, so depending on your ram, it might be possible to just install the fan slightly higher than standard (that's what I did for my current setup)