Question CPU coolers not detected by ASUS Prime X470 Pro

Apr 30, 2022
The other day I found that my computer was unexpectedly not running. When I tried rebooting I got a CPU Fan Error. My guess is that it overheated and shut down. The CPU fan wasn't running and the BIOS didn't detect anything connected to the CPU fan header. I was using the stock Wraith Prism Cooler that came with my Ryzen 7 2700X. The LEDs on the cooler were still working, so it was still receiving power.

First I tried switching the cooler to different headers; it wasn't detected and the fan didn't spin no matter which I used.

Then I tried flashing the BIOS to the latest version, no change.

Normal case fans still work, including when plugged into the CPU fan and AIO headers.

Next I tried replacing the cooler. I ordered an NZXT Kraken Z73. I installed it per the instructions and.. it doesn't run. I again tried the AIO, CPU fan and chassis fan headers with the same result. When I power up the computer the LED on the Kraken briefly flashes and then goes dark. The BIOS doesn't detect anything connected to any header I plug it into.

Is there anything I haven't tried? I'm looking at replacing the motherboard but would like outside opinions before pulling the trigger on that.

Is there anything I haven't tried? I'm looking at replacing the motherboard but would like outside opinions before pulling the trigger on that.
It sounds like the motherboard fan controller has blown. Except what's strange is the case fans are working...but are they connected to the motherboard or to a separate controller? Maybe directly to the PSU on a SATA power connector?

If the motherboard controller indeed has blown that's not the end of it. Just connect the CPU fan and the AIO pump directly to whatever power source the case fans are using. Ignore any RGB connections for now, just connect fans and pump to the power source.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022
It sounds like the motherboard fan controller has blown. Except what's strange is the case fans are working...but are they connected to the motherboard or to a separate controller? Maybe directly to the PSU on a SATA power connector?

The case fans are also plugged into the motherboard. And when plugging the cpu fan or AIO into a header that definitely works for case fans, they still don't work.

The case fans are also plugged into the motherboard. And when plugging the cpu fan or AIO into a header that definitely works for case fans, they still don't work.
I have to say that's very, very strange. Not only the original cooler fan has failed...but the AIO fans too? very strange.

The AIO's I have use a separate connection for the pump. It can be connected to the motherboard, in which case it will report pump RPM, or directly to a +12V power connector from the PSU since it should be operating at full power constantly anyway. The pump should be fairly quiet even at max RPM. The radiator fans are connected separately to case fan headers on the motherboard so you can set a custom fan curve for them. I'm not sure how NZXT's connect up...but be sure to connect correctly.

Again, probably ignore getting RGB working for now, just worry about the pump connection and fan connection(s).

Show photos, how you have AIO connected.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

There are multiple connections:
sata power connection to pump,​
USB connection to motherboard,​
radiator fans connected to AIO breakout cable,​
pump rpm sensor connected to CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT header on motherboard,​
RGB cable connected to RGB devices.​
All of them have to be connected properly.
RGB connection is not essential for functionality. You can leave it unconnected until all the issues are resolved.

Apr 30, 2022
Yeah, I'm not actually trying to set up RGB lighting. My case doesn't even have a window. The LED I mentioned is just the one built into the pump which can be set to display things like CPU temp. It starts to turn on when I hit the power button, then goes dark. The USB cable is plugged into the pump and USB headers on the motherboard. The radiator fans are connected to the AIO breakout cable and the appropriate cables coming off the breakout are plugged into SATA power and the AIO pump header. I've tried moving that last one to CPU, CPU_OPT and chassis fan headers. Neither the pump nor the radiators fans run when I turn it on. I tried to make sure everything was included in the photo below but it's kind of hard to see some of them.

g3I3C9k.jpg

Apr 30, 2022
I'm an idiot and/or NZXT's manual sucks. I just realized the breakout cable's not actually plugged into the pump. I went back and checked the manual and it never mentions that, one of the images just shows it already plugged in. Never having set one up before I just followed the instructions.

After plugging it in it's working.