[SOLVED] CPU cooling advice needed

Jan 4, 2019
I am running an i7 2600 (non-k) @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GGB DDR3 , GTX 1080
I have set the multiplier to 42x so sometimes my CPU clock hits 4.1 GHz

CPU Temperature goes above 90 'C from about 50 'C at idle. In Assassin's Creed Odyssey it's about 99 'C

Should I invest in a cooler ? Will it have any significant impact?
Thanks!

Solution
Thanks everyone! Just did the surgery today and got rid of intel's stock cooler. There was quite some dust and thermal dirt between the cpu and heat sink. I cleaned it all with rubbing alcohol and installed a new thermal take cooler. Idle temperature is ~30 'C and in game (Odyssey) it is ~63 'C (Previously about 100 !).
Don't know if it was because of the dirt and dried up thermal alone or Intel stock coolers are useless :D
Jan 4, 2019

I guess if the temperature is rising to 99 C then you should definitely invest in CPU Cooler.

A simple Evo 212 will bring your idle below 40 (around 35), and around 70 or lower under load (going by memory).

90c is way too hot, you're getting a lot of heat throttling from the cpu which lowers performance to try and control the heat. 50c on idle is way too much as well.

May be a simple thing like, thermal paste is failing with age, but it's a better option to get a cheap good cooler.

I personally would take this one

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Zalman - CNPS9900MAX-R CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $22.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-04 06:23 EST-0500

mtracy1991

Reputable

How many fans do you have in your case? CPU fan, is this used as exhaust or intake for the CPU?
Food for thought: There is always the chance of water leakage, even though the percentages may be low...they can fry your system. Since you Overclocked, you will probably have to go liquid cooling to meet the temperatures you are facing.

By changing that multiplier you are just affecting the Turbo Boost.
ks1.jpg
Not that Turbo Boost. Intel's Tubo boost will automatically(default) boost your CPU's speed. The very slight boost from 3.8GHz to 4.21GHz isn't really helping. The voltage is probably what's kicking up the temp.. I would remove that change and let the PC take care of Intel's Turbo Boost by itself.

How are the temps without the base clock change?

The 212 Evo(or 212X) or the Cryorig H7 are a few compatible coolers.

The boost itself won't have a significant impact.

If you wanted to OC correctly the 2600K(as you know) should have been purchased.

Jan 4, 2019
Thanks everyone! Just did the surgery today and got rid of intel's stock cooler. There was quite some dust and thermal dirt between the cpu and heat sink. I cleaned it all with rubbing alcohol and installed a new thermal take cooler. Idle temperature is ~30 'C and in game (Odyssey) it is ~63 'C (Previously about 100 !).
Don't know if it was because of the dirt and dried up thermal alone or Intel stock coolers are useless :D

Solution
Just for future reference. You need to go and get a small bottle of vodka next time. Clean the cpu and reinstall paste+cooler. After that you get to enjoy the rest of your cleaning product. Lol....

But in all seriousness, you have to make sure that you use something that has less water in it, rubbing alcohol and other products like that sometimes don't have the proper concentration and could cause issues for you.
Sounds like everything worked out well though