[SOLVED] CPU Cooling and FAN for Case

elegendx

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
I need your help about on the CPU cooling and FAN for PC case.
From CPU cooling brand I am between Corsair, Zalman, CoolerMaster, Be quiet, NZXT, Noctua . What shoud I notice to get a very good cooling from specs and quality? I also want it to be quiet and it cool the system very well
From a platform I am between Intel and AMD. But I quote the parts that I will get either Intel or AMD.
Finally I would like you to tell me what to notice in general from the cooling for the CPU and for the FAN of PC case.

Intel
CPU: i9-10900K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA ή Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ULTRA G2. One of two.
RAM: G.SKILL F4-3600C16Q-32GTZN
CPU Cooling: ?????
Graphic Card: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti

Storage Primary: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB
Storage Data 2o: WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD 2TB for project_files and sources footage.

Storage Data 3o: HDD 4TB Backup
PC Case: Full Tower will be but I haven't looked for yet.
PSU: 1200W Fully Modular will be but I haven't looked for yet.

AMD
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme or Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX. One of two.
RAM: G.SKILL F4-3600C16Q-32GTZN
CPU Cooling: ?????
Graphic Card: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti

Storage Primary: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB
Storage Data 2o: WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD 2TB for project_files and sources footage.

Storage Data 3o: HDD 4TB για backup
PC Case: Full Tower will be but I haven't looked for yet.
PSU: 1200W Fully Modular will be but I haven't looked for yet.

Solution
1)You need to figure out your chassis. It will affect your cooling options, as well as cooling efficiency.
Keep in mind that PCs are basically space heaters; you want cool air to easily get in the chassis and heat to quickly get out of it.
So if you want cool and quiet, open mesh models are your friend here.

2)Neither of your builds warrants close to a 1200w psu... I'm going to leave that alone though.

3)10900K.
Stock operation: the top air coolers or a 280mm or larger performance hybrid cooler.
All core enhancement, MCE, or any kind of overclocking: Forget air, forget 280mm performance hybrid... 360mm performance hybrid minimum.

4)Threadripper.
There aren't that many options here.
This here is one of the best options, even...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)You need to figure out your chassis. It will affect your cooling options, as well as cooling efficiency.
Keep in mind that PCs are basically space heaters; you want cool air to easily get in the chassis and heat to quickly get out of it.
So if you want cool and quiet, open mesh models are your friend here.

2)Neither of your builds warrants close to a 1200w psu... I'm going to leave that alone though.

3)10900K.
Stock operation: the top air coolers or a 280mm or larger performance hybrid cooler.
All core enhancement, MCE, or any kind of overclocking: Forget air, forget 280mm performance hybrid... 360mm performance hybrid minimum.

4)Threadripper.
There aren't that many options here.
This here is one of the best options, even beating out some larger hybrid coolers. It's crucial that the base plate make full coverage of the cpu's IHS, due to how the multiple dies beneath are spread out.
Most of the hybrid coolers that have Threadripper mounting hardware fail to do this. But there is a good hybrid cooler option with this model.

5)ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme or Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX.
Careful with the former. E-ATX doesn't have a standard(dimension). So even if a chassis is advertised to support E-ATX, there's a chance it might not fit.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Work backwards. First figure out what the pc needs to do, there's a major difference between the Intel and amd cpus. Intel is better for gaming, has a stronger single core than TR. TR is more for production, where its serious amount of threads can give a serious bonus to most rendering type uses.

There's not really much difference between the mid-grade boards and the uber high end, they'll perform the same, have basically the same features. The higher end mobo's generally are built with a more intensive bios, some extra bells and whistles, but mostly a lot of stuff most ppl never use.

So start out with what your actual needs are, then work backwards from there, you'll know which platform, which cpu, what cooling needs, what case size/type to fit those...

Reactions: spacejunk

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then you'll need the best of both worlds as 3d animation is non-parallel tasking, which is single core power dependent, and the rendering aspect is smaller parallel tasks, which is multi core dependent.

Intel excels at single core, not so much with multi core tasks, the TR excels at multi core, not so much with single core. That leaves cpus like the AMD Ryzen 5950 which excels at both.

And that's my advice, not the Intel and not the Thread Ripper, but the high end Ryzen instead.

Reactions: Phaaze88