Question CPU Cooling fan for Core2 Quad Q6600

Sep 13, 2018
Hello.

I currently have following specs of motherboard and processor:

Motherboard: Asus P5G41T-MLX
Processor: Intel Dual Core E5700

Now, I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu from dual core to core 2 quad. I'm getting a good deal for core 2 quad Q6600.
https://www.daraz.pk/products/i1031...a0e.cart.0.0.7e887d68QpSWyN&urlFlag=true&mp=1

So, my question is, the current processor fan which is installed on my Dual Core Processor will be ennough for Core 2 quad Q6600 processor? or will I have to change the cpu coller fan as well to meet the heat sink requirement of Core 2 quad processor? (Since I'm assuming that core 2 quad will generate more heat than dual core)

Also please tell me whether i will notice significant difference in performance by upgrading from dual core to core 2 quad?

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What's the use for this CPU? The Q6600 is a significant improvement in highly threaded applications, but the Pentium is a few years younger with the benefit of additional ipc improvements and would actually be moderately better than the Q6600 in things that don't really scale to multiple cores well, such as older games.

Honestly, I don't find this a particular compelling upgrade, taking a higher-end CPU in an older series is more of a sidegrade overall. Given that you have a motherboard that does run later Core2Quads, I'd be looking for something like a Q9400 or Q9500, which can also usually be found just as inexpensively. With those CPUs, you'd actually see an across-the-board improvement, which is what I think you should require before bothering.

Last edited:

palakbisht

BANNED
Mar 5, 2019
Hello.

I currently have following specs of motherboard and processor:

Motherboard: Asus P5G41T-MLX
Processor: Intel Dual Core E5700

Now, I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu from dual core to core 2 quad. I'm getting a good deal for core 2 quad Q6600.
https://www.daraz.pk/products/i1031...a0e.cart.0.0.7e887d68QpSWyN&urlFlag=true&mp=1

So, my question is, the current processor fan which is installed on my Dual Core Processor will be ennough for Core 2 quad Q6600 processor? or will I have to change the cpu coller fan as well to meet the heat sink requirement of Core 2 quad processor? (Since I'm assuming that core 2 quad will generate more heat than dual core)

Also please tell me whether i will notice significant difference in performance by upgrading from dual core to core 2 quad?

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
hi,
Make sure your CPU fan can handle it, I was lucky as my PC Tower already had a very good upgraded CPU fan / cooler. I was able to do the upgrade myself after watching a YouTube video of someone doing it to their exact same model PC as I own. Just make sure the BIOS is current and updated to handle this before you install it and you can have fun doing your own upgrade. (All the technical information about this once expensive CPU is at ark dot intel). If you bought one, good luck and enjoy the extra CPU Cores!