CPU Cooling: Hydro or Fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSUMack86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Not sure whether I should stick with a fan cooler or switch to either H50 or H70 from Corsair.

Ive heard of leaking horror stories from hydro coolers so im not sure if its worth it or not.

What do you think?

Solution
better units for less..

Yet to find one, Frio is a very good cooler. To answer the first post I have just taken off my H50 with a 240 Rad and 4 fans push/pull and replaced it with a Frio and have had a substantial heat drop :D And far cheaper than the Water Loop

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
i theory of pumping fluid inside a case that holds an electronic board just baffles me...
i guess it's for those you like to have unit living on the edge of destruction.
not for me.

This is very true if you buy crappy gear or don't know how to set up good watercooling. If this applies to anyone, then they really shouldn't be surprised when it happens.

I've watercooled for 8+ years and only lost a video card...which was promptly replaced by EVGA. This was my fault; not the setup, or the components. I simply tried to replace a clamp without taking the best precautions.

FSUMack86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Ok. I just bought the TT Frio from newegg. Tech guy at my job recommended it because it shouldnt interfere with corsair dominator's tall heatsinks. I hope he's right.

What ya'll think about the Frio?

kerno

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
better units for less..

Yet to find one, Frio is a very good cooler. To answer the first post I have just taken off my H50 with a 240 Rad and 4 fans push/pull and replaced it with a Frio and have had a substantial heat drop :D And far cheaper than the Water Loop

Solution

You had problems, the Frio can't outperform a properly functioning LCS with a 240 rad.

kerno

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

No problems at all the LCS is a good system and fitted correctly and is more than good enough at stock clocks. I just find air is better for me in my system its a good 10c cooler than the water loop running an I7 @ 4.2

I am sure a full cost system will cool better with high flow pumps large reservoir etc etc and I would love one but at what cost £30+ notes for an air cooler is expensive but you do get a lot of performance for your money and a bit more noise it has to be said.

Once again, an H50 properly setup with a 240 rad cannot , will not be outperformed by an aircooler.
You had problems.

kerno

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Look I am not going to argue with you, The loop was installed with the best thermal paste and checked and rechecked. I have been doing this for 20 years or so, so I know what I am doing. If you have experienced different then thats fine, but why would I lie? I answered to try and help the person that asked the question make an informed decision form my experiences, maybe I had a faulty unit who knows but the air solution for me in a HAF 932 case works better.

Status
Not open for further replies.