Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
i5 12600k
RTX 3080 ti asus tuf oc
850 watt
msi pro z690 a ddr4
(parts on its way)

honestly just need to know if i should get a CPU cooler or anything else for cooling?
i've seen "deepcooler ak500" CPU fan however its says 250 wattage so i have no idea if thats able to run i presume not.

anyway if anyone got any suggestions for me it be much appreciated

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The K skew doesn't come with a cooler, so you are going to need something. Typically speaking an AIO and a quality air cooler are going to cost about the same. In the case of an i5, even K skew, I think any decently sized tower (air) cooler should work fine. Quality solutions should work even better. A big portion of this equation is what case and supplemental fans.

As a side note, "850 watt" is in reference to what? I presume PSU, got a model number?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, a 12600K won't come with a cooler, so yes, you need one.

Deepcool AK400 is a low/mid range cooler. It will work, but may not provide the best cooling. Depends on what you want to spend.

Deepcool AK620 is a little beefier, but is $30 more.

Thermalright has quite a few solutions between those two price points that are also dual fan and dual tower. But I know less about them.

Scythe Fuma 2 is a decent choice. Noctua NH-U12S.

After that you get into the really big coolers like the be quiet Dark Rock 4 and Dark Rock 4 Pro, Noctua NH-D15 and others.

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
The K skew doesn't come with a cooler, so you are going to need something. Typically speaking an AIO and a quality air cooler are going to cost about the same. In the case of an i5, even K skew, I think any decently sized tower (air) cooler should work fine. Quality solutions should work even better. A big portion of this equation is what case and supplemental fans.

As a side note, "850 watt" is in reference to what? I presume PSU, got a model number?
MSI MPG A850GF Power Supply Unit, UK Plug - 850W, 80 Plus Gold Certified

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
Well, a 12600K won't come with a cooler, so yes, you need one.

Deepcool AK400 is a low/mid range cooler. It will work, but may not provide the best cooling. Depends on what you want to spend.

Deepcool AK620 is a little beefier, but is $30 more.

Thermalright has quite a few solutions between those two price points that are also dual fan and dual tower. But I know less about them.

Scythe Fuma 2 is a decent choice. Noctua NH-U12S.

After that you get into the really big coolers like the be quiet Dark Rock 4 and Dark Rock 4 Pro, Noctua NH-D15 and others.
alright thank you very much,
Noctua NH-U12S seems like a good one

would i be able to run them tho?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are a couple of things to consider. Case height and RAM height.

Noctua is typically very good with RAM compatibility and have excellent information on their website about it. Make sure that the height of the cooler clears your side panel in the case and otherwise almost anything Noctua is a good choice.

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
There are a couple of things to consider. Case height and RAM height.

Noctua is typically very good with RAM compatibility and have excellent information on their website about it. Make sure that the height of the cooler clears your side panel in the case and otherwise almost anything Noctua is a good choice.
ooo tbh it might just fit imma be re using my case and i've currently got a RX 6700 xt in it thats 152mm while the cooler is 158mm i think it will clear it

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
ooo tbh it might just fit imma be re using my case and i've currently got a RX 6700 xt in it thats 152mm while the cooler is 158mm i think it will clear it
let me be more clear i did measure it its just rather difficult to predict in where the motherboard will lay and how much it will stick out