[SOLVED] CPU Cooling Tips with Stock Intel Cooler for I7 10700

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Hello All

Wondering if this Smart fan 5 fan curve is fine for my temperature needs, eventually gonna replace with a Aftermarket air cooler once i feel confident enough to do the task, and hopefully have no annoying RL interruptions when i am ready to do that task. Main thing PC is used for is gaming, web browsing, email, music listening, video watching, not much video editing, or stuff like that. This was built by local shop in June 2020, and some reason they opted to use the included Stock LGA 1200 Cooler

Note previous systems prior to this custom build was always Pre Built systems with No Fan curve options in UEFI bios at all
Thank you all in advance

CPU Current Fan Curve

Solution
Well, no, not really. The curve is fine but the 10700 is a pretty power intensive CPU and the stock cooler is barely adequate to maintain base clocks, even at full blast. The rating Intel gives it is tiny compared to its potential output.

Nothing to really worry about when replacing the cooler, if it is all off the shelf parts, shouldn't be anything in the way. Just make sure the cooler you choose is under the max CPU cooler height restrictions in the chassis. (You can measure this by hand by getting a metric ruler or tape measure and starting from the base of the cooler to the side panel interior)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, no, not really. The curve is fine but the 10700 is a pretty power intensive CPU and the stock cooler is barely adequate to maintain base clocks, even at full blast. The rating Intel gives it is tiny compared to its potential output.

Nothing to really worry about when replacing the cooler, if it is all off the shelf parts, shouldn't be anything in the way. Just make sure the cooler you choose is under the max CPU cooler height restrictions in the chassis. (You can measure this by hand by getting a metric ruler or tape measure and starting from the base of the cooler to the side panel interior)

Solution

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Oh ok, well soon as can might purchase a Mugen 5 Tower Cooler, as that is one i watched most videos on installing, believe it will fit into case, as max 160MM for CPU cooler, and specs list for that cooler 154.5mm i think, so i think i'll be fine, but i'll measure first to be sure to double check that. Then all i need is to remove the old cooler, old thermal paste, apply new paste, and then properly install the new cooler, and should be set i hope lol

Will continue watching videos, and getting stuff together for the cooler replacement sometime before the weather warms up for Spring/Summer and then i shouldn't have to worry on it, besides dust clean outs every so often

Case is Thermaltake V200 RGB
Motherboard backplate access from other side cover

Parts are all off the shelf parts, some from my old I7 7700 Asus OEM build, but off the shelf parts none the less
Reused EVGA G3 650 Watt Power supply, Reused Memory, and storage devices

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Well i did consider this one briefly, but not sure if it would fit into case or not

Amazon.com: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black, 120mm Single-Tower CPU Cooler (Black): Computers & Accessories

That one supposely 158mm size, not sure if it will fit into case or not, max CPU cooler height is 160MM according to Thermaltake Info

in any case i'll pick one out once i measure properly, and go from there i suppose lol, just want good cooling that will provide good gaming at full processor stock speed/boot speed only, no overclocking

Highest temp while gaming just now was 89C one of the cores, BF4, but also Thermal Power limit on in UEFI bios, so that might be why it's sorta lower than it used to be, used to get up to 93C-95C at times

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Be a major accomplishment if i do pull the trigger and order U12s, and get all the necessary items ordered, then hope it fits, my measuring skills not the best lol, be first time ever i installed a CPU Cooler myself. Researching right now, gathering required items, doing the install at some point, not sure exactly when as yet.

Or Would a 240MM AIO be a good or bad decision? as top of case supports that option as well, though i never ever used one on any systems

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS