Question CPU core speed always near max

Jun 20, 2020
I recently built a brand new computer with an Intel i9-9900K and an Asus PRIME Z390-A, and am having some issues with the core speed. BIOS has been reset to default after I had made some brief changes to it and it has not fixed the issue. Speedstep and turbo is enabled. I notice in my Open Hardware Monitor + task manager programs that my core speed can jump from as low as 800-1000 mhz up to 4.8 mhz in seconds. This is with no load and the computer is on idle. I have power management mode set on balanced. I would really appreciate some help as im worried my components could be ruined because of this.

is your "minimum processor state" in your powerplan actually 5%? sometimes people set that to 100% and then their CPU is usually sitting at max frequency all the time, this removes time taken for cpu to ramp up to 100% when you need it to.

my core speed can jump from as low as 800-1000 mhz up to 4.8 mhz in seconds. This is with no load and the computer is on idle.
You have to look at each core individually,for clocks as well as for load.
If it stays at 800-1000 most of the time and only spikes to 4.8 once in a while then there is something running that can benefit from the high clocks.
There is no chance in hell for a running windows to have no load,it might show up as 0% in task manager but only because it doesn't show you anything that doesn't reach at least 1% usage.

You should check your bios but if it has normal default settings than your CPU will not be hurt by boosting up to 4.8,it could run at that speed forever or switch up and down,it doesn't matter.

Jun 20, 2020
You have to look at each core individually,for clocks as well as for load.
If it stays at 800-1000 most of the time and only spikes to 4.8 once in a while then there is something running that can benefit from the high clocks.
There is no chance in hell for a running windows to have no load,it might show up as 0% in task manager but only because it doesn't show you anything that doesn't reach at least 1% usage.

You should check your bios but if it has normal default settings than your CPU will not be hurt by boosting up to 4.8,it could run at that speed forever or switch up and down,it doesn't matter.
Yes, I have my bios settings to system default and it is still occurring. This means for sure it is not an issue?