CPU core speed keeps changing

nakota2

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I am working on an Asus P5QPL-AM motherboard that is using AMI v02.61 BIOS and has an Intel E6300 that should run at 2.8 GHz installed on it. CPU-Z as well as a number of other test software report that the core speed is only around 1.6 GHz and varies slightly from second to second. I believe that this might be a power saving measure but I want the full 2.8 GHz from the CPU. What should I look for in the some what restrictive BIOS? Please offer some suggestions.

Solution
often under advanced cpu options in bios. intel speed step (eist) and c1 halt state are ways that intel use to reduce power and stepping multipliers to reduce system draw when idle.

nakota2

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Hi Sponny,
Since the BIOS on this motherboard is AMI v02.61, it is quite limiting, or that is what it appears to me. I haven't found anything that refers to "CE1" or Intel Stepping Technology". What is "CE1"? Where am I likely to find these two things so that I can disable them?

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

+1

actually the low speed shouldnt worry you. its intels way of trying to make us green

when your computer dosnt need the power its slows it down and turns off unused cores.

if you start an intensive program e.g. a game it should load everything up to full speed.

check the internet for your bios version. the settings may be called something differnet on your motherboard

but can usually be found under advanced settings. best thing to do is go through every setting in the bios and note down all that you are not sure what they do then go onto google and research them till you find the one that stops the cpu speed being lowerd

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

he is right

i missed that.

the one at 2.8ghz is a single core cpu - Intel E6300

the one at 1.8ghz is a dual core cpu - intel core 2 duo E6300

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Good catch, but he's already mentioned that he has the 2.8GHz variant, and the 1.6GHz speed is indicative of Speed Step (EIST) at work.

OP, as noted, the 1.6GHz speed is a power saving measure. Nothing to worry about as long as the speed jumps up while actively running a program.

Why would he do something stupid like that? :hello:

Nakota2, there is nothing wrong. The cpu clocks down to save power when it's not needed. When you do something where it needs more speed, it clocks up. It's normal, don't turn it off unless you want to use more electricity and create more heat for no reason.

pjhatch

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
He has a core 2 duo e6300 it only runs at 1.86ghz and steps down to 1.6ghz when idle. use cpuz to confirm which processor you have got. I bet its this one! the intel pentium e6300 runs at 2.8ghz intels naming structure is v confusing

nakota2

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Thanks every one,
Problem solved, Spoony gave me the lead and I disabled "Intel(R) Speedstep(TM) Tech" and "C1" in "CPU Configuration" under "Advanced". My wife-system, according to both Core Temp and Real Temp, is running at very close to 2.8 GHz permanently now. It is running with a bus speed of 266 MGz and a multiplier of 10.5. These figures are the same as those set out by Intel.

I had to do this simply because my wife never uses any software that would get the CPU out of first gear. The most resource hungry software she every uses is Excel. Oh, by-the-way, nuts to green computing, sorry to you greenies in the IT community :).

seumas_beathan

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

If she never uses anything that needs the cpu to run at its real core clock why do you want it to. I am no greenie but this is just stupid, as already said you will just be using more electricity and creating more heat for no reason

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Excel doesn't need the CPU to run at 2.8 Ghz. If it did, it would make the CPU run at 2.8 Ghz...Speedstep is awesome, lets the CPU run cool and turn the fans way down when idle and saves some on the old electric bill :D