cpu core speed stuck at 600MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

alme55

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I just purchased a Dell XPS 13 (2015) from dells website, the base model, i3-5010U @ 2.1GHz, 4gb ram. When i recieved it, it was horribly slow out the box, it takes about 15-20 seconds to open and load web pages and about the same to open folders and even longer to open applications upwards of 30 seconds and it slows to a halt if i try to watch youtube videos at 1080p. I passed it of as the i3 being slow but after a week of putting up with it and thinking i need to return it, i did some tests and found out the cpu multiplier is supposed to fluctuate between 5-21 but it sits at 6 and doesn't move, so i have been using the laptop with a clock speed of 600MHz, 28% of the total 2100MHz.

Things i tried:
i went into the bios and disabled Speedstep but that made no difference.
I checked temps and they never went too high, stayed under 55degrees.
I set the laptop to High performance in the power options and even went into the options to make sure it was all right, didn't help.
i ran Prime95's Small FFTs test but it stays at 600MHz and cpu usage doesn't go over 28% even when it is running.
i went back into the bios and checked but i cannot mess with the cpu multiplier in there.

The first thing I did was call Dell before i did any of this and spend 3 hours with them trying to figure it out, they had no idea what would cause the problem and told me they would get back to me in 2-3 days while they look into it, i do use the laptop for school and work so i figured i would check here in the mean while to see if anyone had any ideas.

nw4zd.png

This is Prime95 Small FFTs test after 10 minutes
ff7ip4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.