CPU Core Voltage going higher than manual (adaptive) setting

giggsy11

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Hi everyone,

On my 4790k i had recently set a manual voltage (not overclocked) to 1.191, this seems to be my most stable voltage without it crashing, but i wanted to try out the adaptive setting so that when my cpu is idling the voltage lowers but doesn't go any higher than 1.191.

So i set it to 1.191 and i messed with the offset, first leaving it on Auto and then setting it to 0.001, regardless of which setting i choose CPU-Z shows my voltage hitting 1.230 for second. Is this normal and if so why does it do it?

Going forward, should i have my offset on Auto or put it on the lowest possible values. Also, does 1.191 seem like a decent enough voltage to run stock (4.4ghz)

Thanks.

Solution

It's normal. This is teh way modern Intel CPUs work.
But why are you messing with the stock voltage? Haswell is very power efficient and knows what it's doing out of the box.

giggsy11

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

Still, it seems strange that when my CPU is running at full turbo speed my voltage seems to stay at 1.230.

The reason i changed it is because running at a higher voltage causes higher temps and if my cpu doesn't need to run at 1.230 to achieve the turbo speed then my temps are higher for no reason.

THis is a complete non-issue. The delta in thermals you might achieve is in no way worth the bother. Intel know what they are doing. Mind you, most of teh time your CPU is idle. If and when it spikes to full usage, it doesn't do so for a long enough time for your undervolt to matter.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS