Question CPU cores drop to 800MHz and .6V when I load games.

Aug 21, 2020
I built my gaming pc about 4 months ago and everything has been running great until yesterday. When i turn on my PC my CPU cores sit around 4300MHz and 1.2V, and as soon as i load a game (I tried both Apex Legends and Call of Duty Modern Warfare) my cores drop to 800MHz and my voltages drop to .6V. I have tried clearing my CMOS. I have made sure my windows and graphics drver are up to date. My computer is in High Performance mode. My CPU Temps are fine (30-40 degrees Celcius). I have also tried doing the ThrottleStop BD PROCHOT trick and that did not work either. When my CPU drops my Frames drop as well. I usually get between 140-170 FPS with Apex Legends and when I load in now they drop between 1-30 FPS. I get around 60 FPS when I stand stand still. This happens with all my games all of a sudden. They are all realy laggy and unplayable. Any Suggestions? My PC Specs are called out below. Thanks!

FYI I bought my motherboard and CPU used, and I believe my CPU was overclocked, but I removed the OC profiles and reset my CMOS. My last option I may try tonight is to take out my CPU and re-seat it and see if it helps.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 3.7GHz
Motherboard: MSI z370m Gaming Pro AC
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super X
Liquid CPU Cooler: Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2x 8GB) (3200MHz)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD M.2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD
Power Supply: EVGA 750 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 750W Fully Modular

Aug 21, 2020
I'm having this exact same issue, since yesterday when i came home loaded up modern warfare and as the solider in the background loaded fps went from 130's to 30 and lower, and constantly stutters. Strange thing is i loaded gta online and that has everything maxed out and it played fine @80+ fps.
Far cry 4 as well.
Trying a bunch of other fixes and so far nothing worked.

CPU: i7 7700
Motherboard: MSI z270 gaming pro carbon
GPU: evga gtx 1070ti
RAM: g skill trident z 16gb 3000mhz
Cooler: Gammermaxx rgb cooler
SSD: WD blue 500gb
PSU: Evga 500w 80+ Bronze

I found a workaround for now. If I have MSI Afterburner OPEN when I launch my games everything runs fine, but if I do not have MSI Afterburner open I still have the problem. So try downloading it and having it open when you launch a game and see what happens. I'll try to look deeper into the problem.

Aug 21, 2020
I started having the same issues last night after updating COD MW also. But my Apex runs just fine.

I found a workaround for now. If I have MSI Afterburner OPEN when I launch my games everything runs fine, but if I do not have MSI Afterburner open I still have the problem. So try downloading it and having it open when you launch a game and see what happens. I'll try to look deeper into the problem.

Aug 21, 2020
Hey guys I’m not the brightest with PCs. But I somewhat fixed the issue. I uninstalled both of the games I was having cpu issues with then I cleared CMOS and reinstalled. I played all night with no FPS drop and my cores didn’t drop to less than 4200mhz.

tytanium

Prominent
Jan 3, 2019
I had this EXACT same issue last week to also with an 8700k. did a flash to newest bios and downloaded latest motherboard driver and now I'm back up to 120-130fps in warzone and my cpu is at 4400mhz when playing now

Aug 21, 2020
I had this EXACT same issue last week to also with an 8700k. did a flash to newest bios and downloaded latest motherboard driver and now I'm back up to 120-130fps in warzone and my cpu is at 4400mhz when playing now
Hey I tried this out and my cpu runs fine. That’s until the next day it starts dropping again.

Aug 21, 2020
not sure if anyone got through with this but i was using throttlestop to turn off BD PROCHOT and left it running and that fixed the issue.
Last night i tried going into my bios and turning off EIST and now i can run those games fine without needing throttlestop running all the time.

Oct 10, 2021
I built my gaming pc about 4 months ago and everything has been running great until yesterday. When i turn on my PC my CPU cores sit around 4300MHz and 1.2V, and as soon as i load a game (I tried both Apex Legends and Call of Duty Modern Warfare) my cores drop to 800MHz and my voltages drop to .6V. I have tried clearing my CMOS. I have made sure my windows and graphics drver are up to date. My computer is in High Performance mode. My CPU Temps are fine (30-40 degrees Celcius). I have also tried doing the ThrottleStop BD PROCHOT trick and that did not work either. When my CPU drops my Frames drop as well. I usually get between 140-170 FPS with Apex Legends and when I load in now they drop between 1-30 FPS. I get around 60 FPS when I stand stand still. This happens with all my games all of a sudden. They are all realy laggy and unplayable. Any Suggestions? My PC Specs are called out below. Thanks!

FYI I bought my motherboard and CPU used, and I believe my CPU was overclocked, but I removed the OC profiles and reset my CMOS. My last option I may try tonight is to take out my CPU and re-seat it and see if it helps.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 3.7GHz
Motherboard: MSI z370m Gaming Pro AC
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super X
Liquid CPU Cooler: Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2x 8GB) (3200MHz)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD M.2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD
Power Supply: EVGA 750 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 750W Fully Modular

I know i'm late to this thread but anyone else at the present time will surely find this helpful
I've recently found out that MSI have had this issue for years now where some people experience their CPU's downclocking to 800Mhz in game. I just solved this for myself when this was suggested on Linus Tech forums: This is a software issue with MSI Dragon Center if you have it installed. All you need to do is disable "Game Mode" in Dragon Center and this issue will be resolved for the specific games that are listed in Dragon Center :)