CPU cores stuck at maximum frequency when in AC mode

Jul 11, 2018
Dear All,
I am having a weird problem with my Dell 15 7000. Basically everytime I plugged in the laptop it used to overclock (by default!). Setting the max frquency to MHz, in the power options, it then runs at 2.78 GHz, very close to the max: 2.80GHz. I can't explain to my self why on earth I am getting this behaviour, I also tried to update the BIOS but nothing happens..tried to turn off the Intel Turbo options, nothing happend again!
I look forward to hear from you guys! I am struggling to lower my laptop temperature, that's why started tackling this very topic in the first place. When on battery mode, everything is safe.

Solution
Windows performance mode puts max CPU speed on static, you can fix it from power options.

I'm not familiar with your bios, as each manufacturer has it's own trademark bios but it should be easy to find. As for underclocking, if your CPU is unlocked, you could decrease multiplier/Ratio (it should be 28), If not, you have to decrease BCLK (100). Also, consider undervolting (VCore) first as stock voltages are higher than needed.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
AC mode puts your laptop on performance or balanced mode. You can manually lower CPU power from power options, change plan settings, advanced power settings, processor power state. If temps are still high to your liking, consider using Laptop cooler or changing the stock thermal paste.

Jul 11, 2018

Jul 11, 2018
Thank you very much for answering! I could change itam..but i am suspicious because I have a dual boot laptop. And I don't seem to get the same problem in ubuntu!(which is installed on a different disk)

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
You're welcome. Different operating systems use different policies for various aspects of the system like power management.

I never asked but what are your temps? anything below 80c should be fine.

BTW, is your clock speed static or does fluctuate a lot? if it's static, check your power options. If it fluctuates a lot, see what's using your CPU from task manager.

You could also underclock a little or fine tune your voltage from bios. If you prefer software check out this link: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/10167-laptop-undervolting-overcloking/

Jul 11, 2018

Jul 11, 2018
If I play say Battlefront 2 with medium settings it is around 55-60C, but on Ac it gets to 90-100. IN ubuntu it fluctuates but not like crazy, while in windows it is stuck. What BiOS option would let me underclock in UEFI system? that could be very interesting.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Windows performance mode puts max CPU speed on static, you can fix it from power options.

I'm not familiar with your bios, as each manufacturer has it's own trademark bios but it should be easy to find. As for underclocking, if your CPU is unlocked, you could decrease multiplier/Ratio (it should be 28), If not, you have to decrease BCLK (100). Also, consider undervolting (VCore) first as stock voltages are higher than needed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS