[SOLVED] Cpu Cores

silenthunt316

Prominent
Mar 12, 2020
Hey guys, I have a i9-9900k with a RTX2070. I recently bought AC Odyssey, and I noticed that it said that all my cores were active. I saw that on the intel program that lets you monitor the temps etc etc. just wanted to know is that normal ? Thanks in advanced

Solution
Yes, it is normal. Anything from one core to 8 cores active, plus any of the hyperthreads, is normal depending on what the operating system or applications and games are doing at the time. Often there are processes running in the background using cores that you are completely unaware of without opening task manager.
Yes, it is normal. Anything from one core to 8 cores active, plus any of the hyperthreads, is normal depending on what the operating system or applications and games are doing at the time. Often there are processes running in the background using cores that you are completely unaware of without opening task manager.

Solution
It depends on EVERYTHING that is going on at the time, and what software is installed, AND what game you are playing.

It changes from second to second. Your system will normally, even when "idle" go from using no cores to using one or two, to sometimes using them all, depending on what is going on. The system itself may at any given time be using cores to run virus and malware scans, creating system restore backup points, file system indexing, file structure optimization (Defrag, TRIM), checking for system and security updates, and fifty other potential processes as needed. And that's without even factoring in usage for installed applications that might themselves at any given time be checking for it's own updates or running processes in the background.

Unless I'm not understanding what it is you are asking. What, specifically, is it that you are unsure about?

Reactions: CountMike