cpu cover slip

ganjaman

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
my GA-965P-S3 came with out the plastic cpu cover slip off and loose in the bag. one of the pins in the first inner row is looking bent or dirty. should i return it to newegg or just see if the puter starts up.

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I would return it. When I had a CPU with a couple of bent pins to fit, I thought I had staightened them, but in trying to press it home on the mobo, the pins got worse.

If the same happened to you, the CPU would be too bad to return. At least, at the moment it "looks" like it happened in transit :)

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
All the pins in the socket have a little hook on them - they look like itty-bitty levers. If one of them is really bent though, you should send it back.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
You can try and use a mechanical pencil with no lead in it to straighten the pin. Just put the pin into the tip and slowly bend it back to match the angle of the other pins.

Being that it is new, I wouldn't risk it and simply RMA it. But if you need it ASAP I have heard of many success stories using this method. Also, if you break the pin off or anything terrible, just say it came that way :twisted: