Question CPU & CPU Cooler compatibility check

m4di

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
Is the DeepCool Captain 240EX AIO Liquid Cooler compatible with the following:
  • Intel i7 7700k LGA1151 4.2GHz
  • MSI Z170A GAMING M3
  • Bitfenix Colossus Window Case
Check if it is compatible with the socket and check if it can fit the case.
If it is or isn't, what good CPU liquid coolers are compatible with such specifications?

Will work with the socket, no problem. IF it is the ATX or EATX version of the case (There are four versions, mITX, mATX, ATX and EATX) it SHOULD work, but they do not list any specs on the Bitfenix website for liquid cooling for that case so if you don't already have the case it might be wise to choose something else. Also, if you don't have the case, I can tell you due to the three Bitfenix cases sitting on my work bench unused for the past three years, that there are much better case options out there. I have a Neos, an Shinobi and a Comrade, and they are all lacking in both features, space and quality, to some degree or other.

All belonged to system owners who realized they would not have what they wanted or needed and made the change to a different case. If you have this already though, I would recommend doing a bit further research to determine if water cooling is possible in that case. That's a model that's been around for a while and not everything was geared for it until the past couple of years.

m4di

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
Will work with the socket, no problem. IF it is the ATX or EATX version of the case (There are four versions, mITX, mATX, ATX and EATX) it SHOULD work, but they do not list any specs on the Bitfenix website for liquid cooling for that case so if you don't already have the case it might be wise to choose something else. Also, if you don't have the case, I can tell you due to the three Bitfenix cases sitting on my work bench unused for the past three years, that there are much better case options out there. I have a Neos, an Shinobi and a Comrade, and they are all lacking in both features, space and quality, to some degree or other.

All belonged to system owners who realized they would not have what they wanted or needed and made the change to a different case. If you have this already though, I would recommend doing a bit further research to determine if water cooling is possible in that case. That's a model that's been around for a while and not everything was geared for it until the past couple of years.

My case already has 4 tube holes for water cooling, I have the big black Bitfenix Colossus Window, it is huge, the only thing I don't have is the water cooling cooler, please recommend me some.

Those water tube holes are for older EXTERNAL coolers. They are not for modern AIO or custom loop coolers where the entire unit including reservoir and radiator are inside the case. Modern cooling systems have no need for those holes because nothing runs outside the case.

So, that means the case STILL might not have room for a radiator, but if you don't have drive cages OR if they are removeable, then you probably can. You might also have room for a top mounted radiator if there is significant room between the top edge of the motherboard and the top of the case. There are a lot of "big" cases that are older designs, that cannot support modern liquid coolers because there is simply no place for the radiator clearance designed into the design. But it might, I just don't know.

Looking at reviews of that case, the newest of which seems to be from about 2011 (Not good in terms of being compatible with modern water cooling hardware) it does not look like that case will support internal mounting of radiators without modifications and removal of all of the drive cages. I could be wrong, but I've done a lot of case mods and I'd bet you'll have to mod the case in order to fit a cooler in there.

This seems to support that.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/161-computer-cases/868753-review-bitfenix-colossus.html

TRENDING THREADS