[SOLVED] CPU Crashing

bucki11

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
Brand new prebuilt CPU will crash about 1 hour into playing Total War Warhammer 1. First night the system ran fine, two days later while playing the fan lights started acting funny, the back fan LED would switch to red but half the light was out, the others would start switching colors and patterns on there own and none of them would respond to controls. After a few minutes of this the game would freeze during end of turn and then would go to MOBO control panel after some error search notification. Not sure what it could be especially since I am way over spec'd for this game. i7 intel gen 10, gtx 3060ti, 16 GB ram, 1TB HDD, 500 GB SSD.. Any advice would be appreciated.

Solution
mid-70's core temps are not unreasonable, and, in fact, are relatively normal if boosting to 4.8-4.9 GHz all core....(likely less if a prebuilt, as many do not enable MCE and/or disable power limits to allow higher clock speeds...; see what cock speeds are sustained under load across all cores. Also, what specific CPU do you have? 10700? 10700K? KF/ 10700F? The non-K's may not boost as high if a prebuilt manufacturer chooses to stick to a lower TDP than 125W, possibly to minimize heat)

Those temps would be stellar, in fact, if on a non-K model's factory cooler, as they are not exactly known for rivaling Noctua coolers, etc...

bucki11

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
I don’t know the psu! I will find out though. Do you think it’s overheating?? I get no lag or warning even with the warning notification on the lowest temp option. If it overheats an hour into this game than any new game is off limits..

Boot from a Memtest86 USB flash drive, run that overnight, see if any errors detected...(run at your chosen XMP RAM speed profile, go to lower speed if issues detected, and retest if needed)

INstall/run both HWMonitor and CPU-Z. RUn CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU for 15 minutes, look for any signs of CPU overheating/throttling...or in your case, spontaneous resets/reboots...

Last edited:

bucki11

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
monitoring with temp core now with the game running and then to at 55 Celsius on all cores except 6, that’s at 60. Mind you this is the campaign map and not in a battle.
I will try your suggestion as well.

thank you

mid-70's core temps are not unreasonable, and, in fact, are relatively normal if boosting to 4.8-4.9 GHz all core....(likely less if a prebuilt, as many do not enable MCE and/or disable power limits to allow higher clock speeds...; see what cock speeds are sustained under load across all cores. Also, what specific CPU do you have? 10700? 10700K? KF/ 10700F? The non-K's may not boost as high if a prebuilt manufacturer chooses to stick to a lower TDP than 125W, possibly to minimize heat)

Those temps would be stellar, in fact, if on a non-K model's factory cooler, as they are not exactly known for rivaling Noctua coolers, etc...

Solution

bucki11

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012

10700F and it did get above 80 within 45 minutes before I shut it down for the night. Cpu fan LED completely cuts out as well, glass is pretty warm to the touch. Not overclocking, bios are all at factory default settings maxing at 2.9ghz. Temps Just seem excessive for that game on this machine.