cpu damaged help!

spykap21

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2015
Hello guys,

A friend of mine bought a cpu(i7-6700k) and a motherboard (MSI-krait z170 gaming)
he decided with no experience to build the pc on it's own, and the other day called me for help to see why his pc isn't working,

so i went there to see what happened, so i saw the mobo led indicators that indicates the error on cpu and ram no signal and no post from nothing, then i removed the hydro cooler and then the cpu, i saw that a broken pin from motherboard was fried on to the cpu like soldered , my friend dont care for the mobo and doesnt want to get to action send it back to msi for repairs, he will buy a new one, the only thing he wants is to save the cpu, so i removed the pin that was like jacked to the cpu and there was something like a dot hole. then i went to a tech of a trustful company and said that the cpu will be ok and he solder the gold point where the pin had jacked. the problem is that he didnt have a motherboard to test it if it's working. also he didnt charge me.

so you think , wil be damaged ? or will lose performance ? , the surface of the cpu is clean and lean, now so i doubt if it's going to bent any cpu pins of the new motherboard.

probably the warranty is off too i think.

Thank you very much, hope you help me and sorry for bad english hope you ll understand.

Solution
The only thing you can do is test the CPU and see if it works. I would believe that soldering the pad back onto the CPU that was pulled off when removing the pin isn't likely to work and may have damaged the CPU further.