[SOLVED] CPU dead?

Nov 27, 2019
Greetings,

I tried to update the BIOS of the MSI B450 Gaming Plus using an usb stick.
Unfortunatly it did not work out as planned. Just to clear some things up I had a R3 2200G and updated the BIOS so i could use my new R5 3600 (worked with no problems).

So after i tried updating the BIOS again (after like 3- 4 months) I was greeted with a screen having no signal and the pc still having spinning fans, tho no signs of anything happening. After like 10 min i turned the PC off and on again this time the same thing. I switched the cpus and everything is back to normal only lost the graphics card drivers.

My question is if my CPU is dead?

Solution
Greetings,

Unfortunatly it did not work out as planned. Just to clear some things up I had a R3 2200G and updated the BIOS so i could use my new R5 3600 (worked with no problems).

So after i tried updating the BIOS again (after like 3- 4 months) I was greeted with a screen having no signal and the pc still having spinning fans, tho no signs of anything happening. After like 10 min i turned the PC off and on again this time the same thing. I switched the cpus and everything is back to normal only lost the graphics card drivers.

I would be surprised if a bios update killed the cpu.... so is the motherboard reporting...
Greetings,

I would be surprised if a bios update killed the cpu.... so is the motherboard reporting the new bios version if you go into it or a different one?

Does your motherboard not support bios updating directly over the internet if it's plugged into a network? Might be easier / safer than relying on a USB stick. You may also find there is a utility to update the bios from within Windows which might also be a safer option.

I would say that the CPU should be OK. I would first make sure the bios is correctly installed, then clear the cmos memory (that will reset all the bios settings to default) and try the 3600 again.

Solution
Nov 27, 2019
Alright so here is what I did.
I updated it right this time so I am running the latest versuon, so from version 18 to 1D.
Now when i booted it worked with both cpus.
I went back to the Bios and put my ram back to the freuquency it should be running, so from 2133 to 3200, saved and quit it and boom after the reboot no signal.

Nov 27, 2019
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
I would be surprised if a bios update killed the cpu.... so is the motherboard reporting the new bios version if you go into it or a different one?

Does your motherboard not support bios updating directly over the internet if it's plugged into a network? Might be easier / safer than relying on a USB stick. You may also find there is a utility to update the bios from within Windows which might also be a safer option.

I would say that the CPU should be OK. I would first make sure the bios is correctly installed, then clear the cmos memory (that will reset all the bios settings to default) and try the 3600 again.

Ouh wait no did a <<EDITED>> up on my site put the freuquency bit too high went back fixed it and its all working fine. Thank you soo much like really dude my heart was trembling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cdrkf