[SOLVED] CPU debug light, no fans, RGB works, no POST

Nov 13, 2020
Problem: After pressing power, RGB on motherboard and RAM sticks comes on but no fans and nothing shows up on monitors. The CPU debug light on the motherboard is sold red.

Attempted solutions and mixed results:
-Reseated the GPU and checked all connections. No change to the situation.
-Reseated the CPU after checking pins, etc. Computer fully powered on as if everything was normal. No more CPU debug light. I spent an hour letting the computer run and even played some games. All temperatures for components read as normal. After turning the computer off and trying to power on again, the original problem returned. I assess that the CPU reseating was not the main source of the problem.
-Reseated all RAM sticks. Computer fully powered on as if everything was normal. No more CPU debug light. I spent an hour letting the computer run and even played some games. All temperatures for components read as normal. After turning the computer off and trying to power on again, the original problem returned.
-Reset CMOS by removing the battery and putting it back in after waiting for a bit. Symptoms of the original problem stayed the same.

Not sure what to do now since all the reseating procedures seam to fix the problem once and then after turning the computer off all the problems return.

Below are the basic specs:
MOBO: MSI Z270 Pro Carbon
CPU: i7 7700k
RAM: DDR4 8GB x 3
SSD: Samsung 500GB
GPU: GTX 1080ti
PSU: Seasonic GSeries Gold 750W

Last edited:
Solution
"If the PSU is bad, idk why I'd be able to sometimes get the computer to come on by reseating the ram sticks "

Fair question.

Unfortunately, many devices do not fail in some straightforward "yes or no" manner. Meaning that once failed - then the device is done for.

Instead the circumstances allow some interim state where other factors come into play: temperature, past history, secure physical connections, etc..

In your situation: do you continually find RAM sticks that become loose? Could be caused by vibrations. Or maybe some creep (movement) due to temperature related expansion and contraction. Or simply some slot related problem that does not allow full and firm RAM seating.

Key is to eliminate possibilities.

You can...
Nov 13, 2020
@Ralston18

Hi, thanks for responding!
I meant that I'm using 3 sticks of DDR4 ram, each 8GB.
As for use, I don't overclock but I do play games but usually run on high graphics settings as opposed to ultra. I don't do any twitch streaming or anything.

Seasonic psu is about 3.5 years old., Same as the rest of my components.

If the PSU is bad, idk why I'd be able to sometimes get the computer to come on by reseating the ram sticks. And like I said, in the event that one of my reseating attempts does get it to come on, the computer runs like normal. I play games online and nothing is wrong. But when I turn it off, it is a gamble if the computer will come back on or go into the original problem symptoms.

How old is that Seasonic PSU?

Heavy gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining use?

Note: is RAM really 8GB x 3 or is that "3" a typo?

And there were no other problems prior to the power on failures?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"If the PSU is bad, idk why I'd be able to sometimes get the computer to come on by reseating the ram sticks "

Fair question.

Unfortunately, many devices do not fail in some straightforward "yes or no" manner. Meaning that once failed - then the device is done for.

Instead the circumstances allow some interim state where other factors come into play: temperature, past history, secure physical connections, etc..

In your situation: do you continually find RAM sticks that become loose? Could be caused by vibrations. Or maybe some creep (movement) due to temperature related expansion and contraction. Or simply some slot related problem that does not allow full and firm RAM seating.

You can start the elimination process by powering down, unplugging, and opening the case.

Clean out all dust and debris.

Re-seat all cards , cables, RAM (as you have done), and jumpers to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Boot and if successful - delve deeper.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that may correspond with the failures.

Try Safe Boot.

Set the POST configuration to as verbose as possible. Observe what, if anything, is reported during boot up.

The 3 1/2 year old PSU is a likely suspect. It simply may be nearing its' designed EOL (End of Life).

Reactions: NineBarJoe
Solution
Nov 13, 2020
@Ralston18
That all sounds like a good plan. I ordered a new power supply form Corsair and will have it on standby just in case. As for some of your other recommendations, I'll look into them and report back.

Thanks again!

How old is that Seasonic PSU?

Heavy gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining use?

Note: is RAM really 8GB x 3 or is that "3" a typo?

And there were no other problems prior to the power on failures?

Fair question.

You can start the elimination process by powering down, unplugging, and opening the case.

Clean out all dust and debris.

Re-seat all cards , cables, RAM (as you have done), and jumpers to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Boot and if successful - delve deeper.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that may correspond with the failures.

Try Safe Boot.

Set the POST configuration to as verbose as possible. Observe what, if anything, is reported during boot up.

The 3 1/2 year old PSU is a likely suspect. It simply may be nearing its' designed EOL (End of Life).